National champs

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited June 2011 in Pro race
It's soon that time of year. The races that everyone forgets about until the Tour of Switzerland finishes and you go "now the Tour - oh wait, national champs! of course!".

We all chat about "it's good he's showing the jersey blah blah", but we probably never watch them. Anyway.

Predictions?

As ever, I think the Belgian race will be the one to watch. Gilbert, Devolder, Leukemans, Gilbert, Nuyens, Boonen, van Avermaert, Van den Broeck, etc etc.

Gilbert has to be big favourite for that one.

The others?

Comments

• greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Bit of a long shot this one, but I reckon the British Champs will be won by a rider from Sky...

:D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bit of a long shot this one, but I reckon the British Champs will be won by a rider from Sky...

:D

Unless it's part of Cav's signing on fee.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    On current form, you'd have to fancy J-rod to have a chance in the spanish version. Is millar allowed to ride the british version? Also could see Van den brock beating Gilbert for the Belgium one
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Has anyone got a profile for the British Nat Championships?

I'd like to see Wiggins have a crack with the form he's in but if it is a Sky rider then probably more likely to be Swift. Shame David Millar's not riding, he'd be a good one to liven it up.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyjr wrote:
    Is millar allowed to ride the british version?

Yes. He even won it in 2007. I think he's giving it a miss this year though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    As ever, I think the Belgian race will be the one to watch. Gilbert, Devolder, Leukemans, Gilbert, Nuyens, Boonen, van Avermaert, Van den Broeck, etc etc.

Especially as he's riding twice! :wink:
  • andyjr
    andyjr Posts: 635
    Well both wiggins & Cav have apprently said they are riding

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/a ... ionships-0

http://www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk/
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pete Kennaugh for the Brits (and probably the Manx RRC if he rides it this Sunday) Gilbert for Belgium,
    not sure which Schleck's turn it is this year for Lux,
    Sammy Sanchez for Spain,
    Sandy Casar for France (because he strikes me as a nice guy)
    Not sure about Germany, is the course flat? perhaps Greipel
    Norway Husho
    Do Aus do their Nat champs at the same time? if so Bobridge
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    andyp wrote:

Especially as he's riding twice! :wink:

Nerr.

Anyone have any ideas about the Italian race? I NEVER get anywhere near predicting that one.

Cunego perhaps? One final flourish before a timely and enormous form drop just before the Tour?
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Cav has said he fancies this year's GB course, and Thomas has played down his own chances, commenting that it's much easier than last year's course so more riders will be involved in the race.

The French race is live on French TV.
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Last years British championships were on Eurosport I seem to remember. Not looked for this years yet.

I thought Cav's joining present to sky was the rainbow jersey
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779

Aus was in Jan - and Bobridge took it.
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Pete Kennaugh for the Brits (and probably the Manx RRC if he rides it this Sunday)

Pete's not on the Island for Sundays race I don't think, left last night.

Given the lineup, the British winner's going to come from Sky surely. Cav's not going to get much help. Wiggins or Swift perhaps?
  • Yellow Peril
    patchy wrote:

Aus was in Jan - and Bobridge took it.

I swear it was a genuine pick, do I get a prize?

Any general knowledge on the various parcours for the Nationals?
    @JaunePeril

• Yellow Peril
    Slimbods wrote:
    Pete Kennaugh for the Brits (and probably the Manx RRC if he rides it this Sunday)

Given the lineup, the British winner's going to come from Sky surely. Cav's not going to get much help. Wiggins or Swift perhaps?

You can be my pick for Sunday then Slimbods.

I can't see Wiggo performing. He seems to fall drastically out of love with the sport after his 3 week holiday in France don't you think?
    @JaunePeril

• Matt the Tester
    Matt the Tester Posts: 1,261
    hard to call to be honest!

wiggins COULD but i don't think he will deliver!

it's gonna be a close one ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • avoidingmyphd
    the route for the GB national champs is here:
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/37627576
    3xbig lap then 4x small lap.
    The hill (the "fearsome climb of the Ryals") is on the big lap (between 45k and 48k on my map).
  • Yellow Peril
    That's a lovely neck of the woods for a championship.

That hill at the 45km mark looks a bit of a ball buster!
    @JaunePeril

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Can't explain this but I really want to see Stannard win this year. Felt realyl sorry for him last year when him PK and G where alone. They were clearly told that they could go and start racing each other for the win.

You could see Stannard's head drop knowing he is about to be instantly dropped from the trio :P

Suicidal attack that no-one can reel in will be the way this race will go. Cant see any team looking to chase down breakaways. Unless Endura & Rapha get their act together. Wouldn't be supraised is a simiar situation happens to what happened to last years Champs. sky break away and kill the field as they are forced to chase.

btw did anyone watch the Nocturn London race last saturday? Dowset did a similar thing but in a crit race. Just rode away from everyone and lapped almost everyone!
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    The Ryals are not long, I race over them a couple of times a season normally. The lower one is pretty steep, but it takes less than 2 mins to get from the bottom of the first ramp to the prime line at the top of the second. In fact with a tailwind it is normal to big ring the second ramp.
    What usually makes it hard for any standard of race is the couple of miles leading up to it which is on a grippy slight uphill drag. Someone always puts the hammer down here so the Ryals are hit lined out. Also going over the top back down to Matfen allows anyone who can descend well to get back on.
    Not the kind of slope I'd expect Cav to get dropped on.
  • Yellow Peril
    rebs wrote:
    Can't explain this but I really want to see Stannard win this year. Felt realyl sorry for him last year when him PK and G where alone. They were clearly told that they could go and start racing each other for the win.

You could see Stannard's head drop knowing he is about to be instantly dropped from the trio :P

Suicidal attack that no-one can reel in will be the way this race will go. Cant see any team looking to chase down breakaways. Unless Endura & Rapha get their act together. Wouldn't be supraised is a simiar situation happens to what happened to last years Champs. sky break away and kill the field as they are forced to chase.

btw did anyone watch the Nocturn London race last saturday? Dowset did a similar thing but in a crit race. Just rode away from everyone and lapped almost everyone!

Is anyone outside of Sky capable of winning it? Looking back at last year's race do you think that other teams need seize the initiative and take the race to Sky?
    @JaunePeril

• avoidingmyphd
    Last year's course was perfectly suited to sky's show of force. The hill on the course was hard enough that once the break formed (Hunt's attack came after about one minute's racing, the bridging started on the next lap) it was impossible to catch it, as the peloton wasn't strong enough.

This year's hill is easier. It makes a scenario like last year less likely. Sure, the stronger riders can get away. But I think there will have to be a bigger group than last year to stay away, initially at least. So teams other than Sky will be in the mix for longer, and riders like Cav will get more chance of getting into what turns out to be the decisive group.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Much depends on the routes - Belgian one is in Hooglede, cyclo-cross country, and undulating at most - more Boonen, Van Avermaet, Roelandts than Gilbert, but you never know
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Slimbods wrote:

You can be my pick for Sunday then Slimbods.

I can't see Wiggo performing. He seems to fall drastically out of love with the sport after his 3 week holiday in France don't you think?

Nationals are before his 'holiday' though :wink:
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Pete Kennaugh or Ben Swift I reckon......cant see Wiggo doing it-he'll be there at the finish though I imagine.

Outside bets from the domestic riders would be Ian Bibby, Simon Richardson, Dave Clarke, Kristian House and Dan Fleeman to name a few. Possibly Rob Partridge too.

Hopefully its on TV again this year :D
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Thanks Yellow, but I'd put my money on Varley or Bell :)

I'm a vet now anyway, different race.

Nobody thinking Cav's got a hope at all vs sky?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    It's always tough for high profile British riders who race in Europe, as everyone and their friend marks every move they make. Sky have an advantage of numbers, and won't want a bunch sprint if Cavendish is around, so they'll be firing men up the road in breaks all day long.

Cavendish can only mark so many of them, so it'll be tough for him to do this, unless he has some allies.
  • Last year's course was perfectly suited to sky's show of force. The hill on the course was hard enough that once the break formed (Hunt's attack came after about one minute's racing, the bridging started on the next lap) it was impossible to catch it, as the peloton wasn't strong enough.

This year's hill is easier. It makes a scenario like last year less likely. Sure, the stronger riders can get away. But I think there will have to be a bigger group than last year to stay away, initially at least. So teams other than Sky will be in the mix for longer, and riders like Cav will get more chance of getting into what turns out to be the decisive group.

Wasn't really a show of strength. The peleton was strong enough, but with the terrain and the narrow twisty lanes it made getting a chase organised near enough impossible. Riders were simply not able to move up.

Chris Newton was up the week after and said he was sat at home with his feet up watching the race on tele before it had finished. As soon that break went it was game over.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015