Torn between two bikes - Please Help

burd66
burd66 Posts: 3
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Recently I have given up the car for work and decided to commute on my bike, I only work a four day week but I have to travel from Enfield to Kings Cross around twelve miles each way, have been doing this for the last three weeks and it’s going well and I’m getting a real buzz out of it. How ether I’ve been doing my journey on my Specialized Hotrock which up to now I have only used for off-road, riding on the road has been a steep learning curve for me but am learning fast and really enjoying it. I would like to keep my Hotrock for my offroading at the weekends and purchase something more suitable for my commute, I am torn between two bike’s a Specialized Sirrus and a Cannondale Bad Boy and was wondering if any on the forum could give me any advise that may help me choose between the two, speed ease and comfort are my priorities, would really appreciate you feedback.

Thanks

Gary

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Welcome. Good call on riding. Driving to Kings X is a nightmare.

Enfield, just up the road from me.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a roadbike as that is where you will be riding, on the road. You've got off-road riding covered with your other bike, so you don't need a bike for canal tow paths and bridleways that people new to cycling always think they will spend their weekends riding on.
    If you are definitely going the hybrid route (I feel dirty even typing the word), which Bad Boy are you looking at? I've had a look at Evans and they range from £500 to £1200.
    Both bikes are good, so you won't end up with a lemon, I just don't think either are the best tool for the job.

There is a good deal [http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9227]here[/url]. Good bike, good tyres, mudguards, kickstand, mounts for racks and panniers and £400 off. If I was after a hybrid commuter, that is where I'd be spending my money (if I was less than 5'11").

Lots of people swear by CX bikes for commuting, especially the Spesh Tricross.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    The sirrus can come with the zertz inserts which apparently dampen vibrations caused by rought roads so if there are lots of pot holes around that may be a sensible choice.

I would recomened finding a place to test ride them even if its only down a road and back as it will give you a feel of the bikes.
  • burd66
    burd66 Posts: 3
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Welcome. Good call on riding. Driving to Kings X is a nightmare.

Enfield, just up the road from me.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a roadbike as that is where you will be riding, on the road. You've got off-road riding covered with your other bike, so you don't need a bike for canal tow paths and bridleways that people new to cycling always think they will spend their weekends riding on.
    If you are definitely going the hybrid route (I feel dirty even typing the word), which Bad Boy are you looking at? I've had a look at Evans and they range from £500 to £1200.
    Both bikes are good, so you won't end up with a lemon, I just don't think either are the best tool for the job.

There is a good deal [http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=9227]here[/url]. Good bike, good tyres, mudguards, kickstand, mounts for racks and panniers and £400 off. If I was after a hybrid commuter, that is where I'd be spending my money (if I was less than 5'11").

Lots of people swear by CX bikes for commuting, especially the Spesh Tricross.
    Thanks for your reply, yes route to Kings Cross is unbelievable Tottenham one way system and the Seven Sister’s Road are a real experience not to mention white van man! The Cannondale I was looking at would be at the lower end of the price range as I would like bike to be as simple as possible (less to go wrong) don’t think I need suspension on the road. Had a look at the link you sent amazing deal and what a good website, bookmarked. The Spesh Tricross is lovely, may take a walk up to Cycle Surgery in my lunch break to see if I can have a sit on one.

Thanks

Gary