Rides in or near gloucester.

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Going up to gloucester for a few days soon. Any advice on good 20 - 50 mile rides in the area?

Cheers

W

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Pop up Birdlip Hill as a loosener then just bowl around Caulder's Green, Sapperton etc. for a few hours. Or whisk out to the Forest of Dean for a pleasant spin. You could tazz down to Frocester via Epney/Longney, Saul and Frampton, then bash along to Nailsworth, tackle Bear Hill on the way to Stroud and then finish off with a run up the Slad valley.

Lots of options!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • welkman
    Think I need to get myself an OS map and stert planning, thanks for the ideas though will have a good look.
  • desweller
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The road up from Stroud to Frocester, up the hill is fairly bowel busting.
  • desweller
    gtvlusso wrote:
    The road up from Stroud to Frocester, up the hill is fairly bowel busting.

Selsley Hill? Yeah that's a goodun, with a handy cattle grid part way up if you bear left. If you fancy a real challenge you can have a go at Haresfield Beacon - that's a genuine 1/4 and will really test your climbing legs.

To be honest, you can just bowl around as you please. There's plenty of hills - it's not called the Five Valleys for nothing - and plenty of empty roads and nice pubs too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • welkman
    This is going to be a big shock to me. The area I live in has no hills of any note, you could be in holland. We do get a lot of strong headwinds though, so lets hope that is training enough.