Which brake and gear cables - help!?!?

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to change my brake cables, as the old ones are a bit knackered, on my Joey.

I read a review in CP (I think) a couple of months back that rated the Jagwire ones, but having a look on cycle store websites I'm not sure which ones to go for that will go on the Airnimal.

All of the brakes and gears are Shimano, with the gears being Alivio. Would the normal £30 road ones fit, or do I need MTB specific stuff, or does it not matter at all?

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Isn't the Joey pretty new? Sure they haven't just stretched a bit as you've been using them and need adjusting?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    There was a similar question on the Road Buying Advice section of the forum. Jagwire's generally came out top recommendation.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • FoldingJoe
    dhope wrote:
    Isn't the Joey pretty new? Sure they haven't just stretched a bit as you've been using them and need adjusting?

I bought it second-hand, and the rear cable is starting to fray where it is clamped to the brake itself.

That as well as the fact that I would like to change the colour of the cables!!! :)

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get Jagwire off ebay by the length with the caps and it won't cost anywhere near that much. I have Jagwire gear cables and ends on my commuter, but the 3 year old brake cables from Wilkinsons (£1.04) are still fine.

The cable will always fray a bit where its clamped unless an end ferrule is used.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FoldingJoe
    I want to change the cable outer colours, to white!!! ;):)

Anyone any idea which ones I need between MTB and Road, or would either be fine?

Ta
    FJ

• They're the same thing, it's only the cable inners that change for brakes (even that's just what the end bit looks like). Jagwire are the daddy for cable outers, I don't use anything else. I also like the Black Snake cable inners.

If you're buying by the meter off eBay, you should use the extra money you save to buy a decent set of cable cutters. I replaced some crappy ones from Halfords with some decent Pedro's ones and they make all the difference. As has been said also, get some ferrules for the stops and some end caps for the inners. Also covering the inners with GT85 before putting them in the outer is a good idea.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As UE says its only the 'nipple' on the end of the inner cable that is different MTB to road, and some come 'dual ended' so you just choose which end to cut off!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Also covering the inners with GT85 before putting them in the outer is a good idea.

I find that GT85 wears off (evaporates, maybe) over time, and just grease the inners.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Another +1 for Jagwire

That said, while I agree that buying the Jagwire stuff by the metre is the cheapest way (certainly for outers), their best inner cables are the newer "ripcord" ones that are black in colour and teflon coated (I think) - they are just awesome - so slick (without any sort of lube*) and maintenance-free

They come as part of the new model Racer kit and I think you can pick them up individually as well, but those can be harder to find

There standard cables are good too, so you won't go wrong either way!! Plus, the advantage of the kits is that all the ferrules/fittings/endcaps are included and the brake outers come with a handy pre-curved section for the bars

*Personally, I don't like using GT85/lube/grease as I find it encourages crap onto the cables and into the inner, so the new ripcord cables are fantastic for me. YMMV