Big thanks to Merseyside police

Pickled Pig
Pickled Pig Posts: 233
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Last night a neighbour rang us at midnight to say he'd seen 3 lads making off with our 2 MTBs after breaking into our shed. I jumped in the car for a drive around while Mrs Pig rang the police. When I got back I was expecting a crime reference number and the promise of a visit in the morning.
Instead 5 patrol cars and a helicopter were dispatched and within an hour both bikes were returned after the thieves abandoned them after being spotted and pursued in a nearby park.
Though they got away, I'm sure that the 'shock and awe' police response would make them think twice about future thefts. I for one won't be complaining about where my council tax goes, at least as far as the police are concerned.

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Nice one... 8)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Glad you got your bikes back.
    Don't be fooled - it won't make them think twice especially as they got away and went on to rob more later no doubt!
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    I agree with TowerRider and it might be an idea to beef up your security
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • Brilliant police response and really glad you got your bikes back. How on earth did they get away on foot, in a park with the eyes in the sky on them?????
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    5 patrol cars and a helicopter were dispatched .

when contacting the police did you tell them they looked like they had a gun, normally gets a quick response. :lol:
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    omegas wrote:
    5 patrol cars and a helicopter were dispatched .

when contacting the police did you tell them they looked like they had a gun, normally gets a quick response. :lol:

No need Its just assumed in merseyside.

(waits for the wirral cheshire merseyside debate)

That was good of them when we had 30k worth of damage done to 5 cars over 2 addreses in the same night they gave us a crime number over the phone and that was that. Wasn't until we phoned back the next day and asked when they were coming to view the CCTV they said "Oh you were expecting us to come round".
  • MattJWL
    MattJWL Posts: 147
    Probably because Mr Pig went out to chase... from a risk assessment point of view, they've got a P**d off householder driving around and a pair of scallies out on bikes. Probably Mr Pig is a very quiet & gentle type, but they don't know that, and it could have turned into a small riot.

Alternatively, they were in the neighbourhood at the time....
    Intense Carbine SL
    "Chinarello"
    Taylor Made
    Off to pastures new:
    CELL Team Pro
    Intense Spider FRO
    Giant XTC Composite Clone
    1992 Fisher Al-1
    1990 Raleigh Mirage
    1988 Cloria Italian MTB
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Possibly the scumbags were spotted by chace and were of interest to the police, if the helicopter was already in the air, Merseyside is tiny when it comes to air coverage. They do seem to be pretty good if a suspect is spotted, good to hear you got your bikes back.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Glad you got your bikes back mate, hope the theiving scum catch a very slow and painful death.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Keep the bikes in doors for a while and think about a simple alarm on the shed which would activate in the house if the door was opened, they only cost a few quid, maybe add a pir lamp too. Then concrete a piece of chain into the ground and you have a cheap ground anchor too.

Don't forget to write a letter to your local rag about how good plod was.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice one unfortunately the Merseyside chopper is going very soon, we will have to borrow Cheshires copter as long as they arent using it to rescue Mrs Miggins cat from a tree.

It is very funny that the very people who were complaining about the chopper taking off at all hours from RAF Woodvale and ruining there house prices are the same people now complaining that the cuts are going to far and are worried about hordes of scally scum coming up from Bootle and robbing there houses and 4x4s.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Awesome news, glad you got your bike back. that's two stories in a handful of days I've read about bikers getting th eupper hand on thieving scum! :D
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    stubs wrote:
    Nice one unfortunately the Merseyside chopper is going very soon, we will have to borrow Cheshires copter as long as they arent using it to rescue Mrs Miggins cat from a tree.

It is very funny that the very people who were complaining about the chopper taking off at all hours from RAF Woodvale and ruining there house prices are the same people now complaining that the cuts are going to far and are worried about hordes of scally scum coming up from Bootle and robbing there houses and 4x4s.

Their the same old biddy have nothing better to do than complain idiots. Who moan every summer that they cant enjoy their gardens because of the noise of cesna's taking off and landing. After living in Formby for most of my life I miss not seeing the planes in the sky since moving a bit further down the road.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    So glad you got them back.

Such a shame that they didn't beat them to a pulp with a baton and then tazer their scrotums.
  • Pickled Pig
    Pickled Pig Posts: 233
    sparked wrote:
    I agree with TowerRider and it might be an idea to beef up your security
    & diy's advice

I'm going to - lesson learned the (not too) hard way.
    How on earth did they get away on foot, in a park with the eyes in the sky on them?????

I think the car patrols spotted them and they scarpered before the chopper arrived. My sceptical view was that the police wouldn't leave their cars but they did and searched the park on foot - I saw them on my drive around.
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    That was good of them when we had 30k worth of damage done to 5 cars over 2 addreses in the same night they gave us a crime number over the phone and that was that. Wasn't until we phoned back the next day and asked when they were coming to view the CCTV they said "Oh you were expecting us to come round".

I'm sorry to hear this. Have had a similar response in the past (10 years ago when burgled) but I had hoped things had changed for the better all round.
    MattJWL wrote:
    Alternatively, they were in the neighbourhood at the time....

They were apparently - looking for roof-space cannabis farms with the IR camera.
    stubs wrote:
    It is very funny that the very people who were complaining about the chopper taking off at all hours from RAF Woodvale and ruining there house prices are the same people now complaining that the cuts are going to far .

I thought it was based at Speke - got to 'fess up that we were moaning about the chopper overhead last week in the small hours - feel differently about it now though - hypocritical or what :?