Torque Wrench, needed?

cooldad
cooldad Posts: 32,599
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Nip them up, not too tight. Use your fingers and not whole hand/arm muscles.
Works for me anyway.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Comments

• aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Grrrr!!

Torque settings are there for a reason, very very very clever people sit and work all the stresses and forces on bolt aplications and recomend torques for a reason!!!!!!!!

Go buy a torque wrench!!! You will use it more if you have one!!!!
  • cooldad
    Grrrr!!

Torque settings are there for a reason, very very very clever people sit and work all the stresses and forces on bolt aplications and recomend torques for a reason!!!!!!!!

Go buy a torque wrench!!! You will use it more if you have one!!!!
    #
    Grrrr?
    Did you neglect to take your medication?

I believe it takes a very very very very very clever person to work them out.

Luckily I have very very very very very clever fingers.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • aaronmroach
    Makes my blood boil!!

As an aircraft engineer I have seen first hand what happens when people fail to follow correct procedures and recomended torque settings!!!!!

If you over torque the component you risk damaging it during use due to the extra stress applied to the materials, if you under torque it you risk it vibrating loose and causing damage or loss of component.

The worst thing is when one of the two above occurs and injury to the user happens!!!!!!
  • cooldad
    Except it's a bicycle not an aeroplane.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • aaronmroach
    Principals are still the same. Every weekend we throw them down hils at upto 40mph!!!

I like the feeling that my bike is set up to all the correct settings and that if anything goes wrong it will most definaltely be my riding ability and not a component falling off or breaking due to incorrect fitting procedures!!!!!! Therefore if something does fail it will be covered by waranty as it was installed 100% to manafacturers specifications!!!!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Handlebars/stems = 1/2 grunt
    Seatpost = 1 grunt
    Cassette lockrings = 2.5 grunts

;)
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    dodgy wrote:
    Handlebars/stems = 1/2 grunt
    Seatpost = 1 grunt
    Cassette lockrings = 2.5 grunts

;)

Removing Cassette lockrings = often 10xNm of 2.5 grunts :lol:
  • madmole
    madmole Posts: 466
    8 = medium hand tight with a 6" spanner.
    If using the Park blue handle L allen keys then tight with the long length in the bolt = 6
    Park stubby end snug with hand on blue bit 8
    snug with hand near long end 10-14 (on thinner ones), 16-20 on thicker ones

I'd like to bet <10% of bike shops use a torque wrench when doing this job. I know for a fact our local one doesnt even own a torque wrench (mind you he cant service bikes either despite charging the earth to do so)

Most folks who have been spannering for a while get a good feel for torques and rarely use the torque wrench

Some common sense helps, thin bolts = less torque. Pinch bolts normally minimum to hold
    Marin Mount Vision 2005. Fox RL100/RP3. Hope Pro 2/Mavic XC717/DT rev. Cinders 2.1, XTR, Lots of bling

Cervelo S3 2011. Mavic Cosmic Carbonne SLE. RED. Q-rings, lots of bling and very light!