Which way would you go? (question for south-easterners)

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
At the risk of being told I should just buy Campag and blame Wiggle, some advice please as I've not driven a lot down this way for a few years: heading for the ferry at Harwich, which route should I take?
(Perhaps I should point out that I'll be driving not riding, and what's more towing a caravan)

down the M6, M1, M25 and across
or
across the A66 and down the A1

Comments

• jamm13dodger
    jamm13dodger Posts: 106
    Second one.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    bompington wrote:
    At the risk of being told I should just buy Campag and blame Wiggle, some advice please as I've not driven a lot down this way for a few years: heading for the ferry at Harwich, which route should I take?
    (Perhaps I should point out that I'll be driving not riding, and what's more towing a caravan)

down the M6, M1, M25 and across
    or
    across the A66 and down the A1

First one.

I hate the Edinburgh->Newcastle->A1(M) journey.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    A1 - not as spectactularly dull as the M1, M6 and often easier to escape in the case of traffic problems.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DrewDubya
    DrewDubya Posts: 35
    My choice would depend on when you were travelling, and specifically what time of day you are going to hit J12 and further on the M1...

Generally I try to plan my journeys to use M25, M1 whenever possible
  • bompington
    guinea wrote:
    Wouldn't dream of coming down the east coast the whole way, M74-M6 is always the best way to get south from scotland.

Thanks for the suggestions - @Drew, we're travelling on sat 16th July to get to the ferry in the evening if that makes much difference - would hit M25, if going that way, at about 6-7pm.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    Just stay at home, dragging your box on wheels around the country and causing delays to other road users is just selfish :wink:
  • DrewDubya
    DrewDubya Posts: 35
    bompington wrote:
    guinea wrote:
    Wouldn't dream of coming down the east coast the whole way, M74-M6 is always the best way to get south from scotland.

Thanks for the suggestions - @Drew, we're travelling on sat 16th July to get to the ferry in the evening if that makes much difference - would hit M25, if going that way, at about 6-7pm.

I would expect that to be one of the quieter times - I'd certainly be palnning on using M25 if it was me
  • bompington
    Pross wrote:
    Just stay at home, dragging your box on wheels around the country and causing delays to other road users is just selfish :wink:
    Yeah, it's not like a cyclist would ever hold up traffic is it?
    Seriously, I find the main problem with towing a caravan is that it's really quite hard to overtake slow traffic on most roads. Last time I was towing through East Anglia we were fed up after the long drag south, the kids were being sick in the back and I wound up doing 80 for the last hour or so.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Second one.

I did the A66 - A1(M) a few weeks back, it was not too bad although I hate the A66 with a passion and I've only been on the damn road 4 times.

Last time hit the Appleby Horse Fair, (not literally), which caused a few minutes delay but overall a fairly decent drive. The first time was towing a caravan as well just watch for the cross winds. :shock:

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    A1 hands down. The M1 and the M25? You couldn't pay me enough.
  • A1 hands down. The M1 and the M25? You couldn't pay me enough.

+1 (and as for the M6...)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    More than route choice, timing is more critical - there's no need to drop all the way down to the M25 - cut across the A14 to Cambridge and down the M11 and then across to Harwich. As well as the M25 during the rush hours, the M1 between Derby and Leicester and the M6/M5 around Birmingham are worth avoiding at peak hours. Timing would dictate my choice between the M6 or A1 in order to avoid major conurbations - I use both regularly. The downside of the A1 is that it's mainly dual carriageway - one incident and it snarls up quickly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The M6 is a car park anywhere between junction... well.... 45 and 1

The very worst part is anywhere between 19 and 13 (Manchester Airport and Stafford South) that bit is just dire, and you'll be hitting it at one of the worst times.

Then you have Gravelly Hill interchange and THEN the M1 coming into London.

Avoid.

I'd just do the A66 and down the A1 (which I prefer, and the roadworks north of Ripon keep the traffic down to 50 mph so you won't feel left out :wink: )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Yeah, it's not like a cyclist would ever hold up traffic is it?
    Seriously, I find the main problem with towing a caravan is that it's really quite hard to overtake slow traffic on most roads. Last time I was towing through East Anglia we were fed up after the long drag south, the kids were being sick in the back and I wound up doing 80 for the last hour or so.

I know how you feel. When I tow it is a horse trailer so I have to keep slow. I don't envy you towing that sort of distance!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I always go M1/M25/A12. I'm only coming from junction 12 on M1 though.