Shimano M775 Brakes Leaking

Gizmokev
Gizmokev Posts: 146
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I think the cylinders are leaking inside the caliper and oozing fluid onto the pads. I get the squealing and the rear is loosing power constantly. I have tried bleeding them to no avail and so I am left with this option.

Can you get replacement seals for these brakes and if so where? Are there compatibles as CRC doesnt seem to list anything.

Comments

• It could be something else (but leaking caliper seals is a common problem ime with recent Shimano calipers).

To check - take the wheel out , pads out and jam somthing plastic between the pistons (a tyre lever works well). Then pull the lever till you get a real firm clamp. You will probably see fluid / bubbles from around one of the pistons.

Also check for any signs of oil on or near the calipers / mounts etc. Even a tiny amount is the start of real trouble.

How old are they - under warranty (12 months)?

I think for mine its something to do with using them in extreme cold - my winter bike suffers way worse.

If the piston seal is your problem (it could be something else!):

I've tried finding the seals on their own (the bit that seems to cause the leak) but cant be got. The good news is that you can buy a new SLX caliper for £25 from CRC which works fine (even with servowave levers).

Also a Deore caliper will work too a save a few bob. Installing and bleeding is easy, but you will loose about 1/2 inch of the hose ('cause you cant reuse the insert/olive)
  • Gizmokev
    Time to swap to Hope or Avid I think.......bloody Shimano.....WTF.....surely someone must do seal for the bloody caliper cylinders....

ahahaahahahaaaaaa I just thought of a possible solution....hydraulic suppliers do all sorts of nitrile rubber o-rings.....maybe they have something that will assist me in my quest
  • nitrile rubber o-ring

Sorry dude - wrong technology. Shimano calipers dont use o-rings. Some sort of proprietary oil seals.

As for Avid - 10 times worse for reliability. And terrible spares availability.

Hope may be better(I've never justified the cost) - but at least sell spare calipers seals. You pay your money and take your chances.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Gizmokev wrote:
    I think the cylinders are leaking inside the caliper and oozing fluid onto the pads. I get the squealing and the rear is loosing power constantly..

if you are loosing fluid, you would see it else need to top up the master.

Brake squeal occurs for a number of reasons - halft the posts in this section are about that (ok, so I exagerate a bit).

Descibe what you mean by: the rear is loosing power constantly
  • Gizmokev
    The rear brake lever is no longer as firm as it used to be when I bled them.....also the reason I think of the cylinders leaking is that despite my best efforts to lock the brakes as I come down a hill they wont.....I would like to be able to stamp on my brakes and know they are going to stop me and not squeal and just slow me down slightly...I have a new set of pds but dont want to just install them without fixing the cylinder leak or they will get ruined.
  • z0tty
    z0tty Posts: 47

2 Syringe Avid you mean?? lol and i couldn't agree more

pop to mine kev,, have a sample of real brakes then start saving ;)....
    if it fits in my man cave i want one!.. NOW!!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    z0tty wrote:

formula :wink:
  • desmojen
    desmojen Posts: 136
    That's the exact reason I changed to Hope. A slightly bent lever that I couldn't replace unless I bought a complete lever assembly, and then a leaking rear caliper that I couldn't get seals for....

Hope don't cost that much more to buy new, and I think the spares back up makes it worthwhile :)

Jen.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    How old are they - under warranty (12 months)?

Warranty on XT is actually 2 years.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Gizmokev, It's shimano, which means practically every bike shop is a dealer.
    Pop to any decent bike shop (even West End in Colwyn Bay) and they should sort you out, no problem.

Oh, and since the seals shouldn'r teally let go in them, what they might do for you is just give you a new calliper instead.
  • z0tty
    z0tty Posts: 47
    z0tty wrote:

formula :wink:

would fix the Shimanos first!! ;):D
    if it fits in my man cave i want one!.. NOW!!