Assisted suicide

whyamihere
whyamihere Posts: 7,700
edited June 2011 in The hub
I'm admittedly wary of posting this, and I have no problem with deleting it at the first sign of any posters giving abuse to others.

Having just watched Terry Pratchett's documentary on assisted suicide, I was wondering what other views are on the subject. Personally, if the time comes where I am in a position where life in my body is simply untenable, I shall have no compunction with regard to taking my life. However, I would much rather be able to take a certain cocktail of drugs and die relatively painlessly, listening to some amazing music, with a glass of a good malt whisky in my hand. I do not want to be discovered 3 days later hanging from a tree in the woods by some poor guy out walking his dog.

Also, I want to do it in England.

I get the feeling that this isn't really a popular view, but I have nothing to base that feeling on, really. So, tell me your feelings on it.

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i'm not sure, i've never really given it much thought, but they do it for animals don't they?

after watching my grandad get taken by cancer in quite a short space of time, from being a healthy out going guy to being led up in bed not being able to do anything within 9 months...i bet he'd have wanted to go on his own terms........ :? :(
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I haven't seen the show yet, I'll catch up on iplayer sometime during the week (I really wanted to see it).
    But, in my view, we should have the right to choose a time of our demise. Why would we want to suffer and suffer and suffer, struggling to stay alive, and putting a strain on those around us, the carers, and the health service, for ultimately a few months more of life, all of which would be spent suffering.
    Let us go when the time comes, I say. To force someone to suffer is inhumane, and devalues human life, in my opinion.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I don't see why we can't choose assisted suicide. If a life's not worth living then I don't have a problem with it at all.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Agreed, if I am lucky enough to escape most of life without any illness and manage to make it to 75+ I do not want to be some old vegetable in a chair with other vegetables constantly being cared for to just eventually die of old age.

That or if I was paralysed from the neck down or became mentally incapable of looking after myself and there was no chance of recovery.

I'd happily sign a legal document right now requesting for assisted suicide if the worst event was ever to arrise and it was allowed.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I watched it, well (and sensitively) made.
    I think if it's done right (as it seemed to be) it's a good thing.
    As long as it isn't used to knock off parents so the kids get can get their hands on the loot. (thinking as a parent, albeit one with no loot).
    I would certainly seriously consider it if the circumstances warranted it - I wouldn't want to be unable to wipe my own bum etc.
    It was also the phone in topic on 5 live this morning. Some bishop was understandably anti, but the majority of callers were either pro, or at least accepting if someone else wanted to do it, much like the response here so far.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I saw the documentary l.
    I've always said that I'd like to go if I can't run, climb , bike , remember stuff and so on. This was re-infoced last year being with my Dad as he died in dementia over the course of a year. But it seems to be technically very cmplicated to kill yourself comfortably - look at the subject who had tried to kill himself twice by overdosing. I think that you do have to have facilities such as that and attitudes which allow it. I hope we get them in the UK.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I didn't watch it but did read the article on BBC News Online.
    I think it's a good thing, it's a dignified way to go and you can be alongside your family when you choose to go.
    At the end of the day, if they removed or banned the practise, people would just find other ways to opt out of living.
  • Not much of a sample but all of us so far agree with it and the government legislates against it.!!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    A subject that is very close to my heart but for different reasons. For me I have a fear of dying full stop so it's not something that I could contemplate.

In my heart of hearts though, I know those nearest and dearest to me have their wishes and God forbid should the time come, I hope to be strong enough to carry those wishes out.

It takes the most amazing guts to willingly take your own life. Good luck to those that do.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    I'm not scared of death at all. I am scared of suffering though.
  • Gizmokev
    Gizmokev Posts: 146
    Death comes to us all one way or another....how you go depends on you.

Choices are go out with your family close by wishing them well and telling them that y love them and always will no matter if you are here or gone.

The flip side is that you die in some institution after years/months of being ravaged with illness invariably alone.

I know which I would prefer
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'm not scared of death at all. I am scared of suffering though.

true 'dat.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Its up to them to make the choice i say. And it all boils down to this. Quantity of life or quality of life.

If i was to get brain damage tomorrow and assisted suicide was legal in this country than i would like my wish to be fulfilled, but their would need to be some way of establishing how to communicate my feelings to other people, so that needs to be established first. I would want it doing because i have had a good quality of life for this 25 years, and i don't think I'd want to just live for the next 50 having people look after my daily needs.

But then again how does someone who can't communicate their feelings, at present, but still wants to live let somebody know?

Thats my views on it. And i know my Mum feels the same, she doesn't want to be a burden on me. But then again, I'd be happy to look after her if she needed her daily needs taken care of.

Such a wide range of scenarios to think about on this issue.
  • Anonymous
    But then again how does someone who can't communicate their feelings, at present, but still wants to live let somebody know?
    Maybe with some kind of donor car-like system, or a register that you sign up to?

If there was a register, maybe you could anonumously opt in or out, then when someone was critically ill, only an MD was alowed to see if they'd signed up? Might help alleviate the worries about family members knocking one another off for inheritance.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Maybe with some kind of donor car-like system, or a register that you sign up to?

If there was a register, maybe you could anonumously opt in or out, then when someone was critically ill, only an MD was alowed to see if they'd signed up? Might help alleviate the worries about family members knocking one another off for inheritance.

Sounds like a plan. Sort of like a consent form when you have a planned procedure. Jus the logistics of implementing such a thing that would be a problem. Another bit of paper for the NHS desk Jockeys to cock up with!
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    I'd like to have the choice, if the time came where I was so disabled either physically or mentally that I no longer felt like 'me'.

The most interesting point of the whole program was the discussion afterwards, and I'm sorry if this is going to sound off (and yes I'll delete the comments if asked to) but you had the clergy, a pro life and a disabled person, all saying that others shouldn't have a choice and should carry on, but the people actually suffering were the people asking for the choice.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    its taken a few days to have a proper think about this subject and how i would feel if my parents or my partner had to basically cater for my every need. And how i would feel if the tables were turned.

For me its about suffering, and at what level do you say to yourself thats enough; i mean if i lost my legs in a car accident i would suffer mentally for it but i wouldnt end my life, but if i was ravaged by parkinsons to the extent my grandfather is then i would think about it. He is in terrible pain everyday, has every bit of sense and can make informed decisions but its painful to even breathe at times. He thinks its time to go but as he keeps sayin "the buggers wont let me leave yet", he watched that programme with sadness in his eyes and wants to go.

The next problem with this kind of issue is things surrounding when the decision is made and whether the act is done in good nature. What happens, say, if i opted in to any kind of scheme now, 28 in good health and loving life, i get hit by a car on my way home and put in to a bad state where i can't live the life a human should be able to, do they do 'it' automatically in the days after the accident, do they wait to see how much suffering you are actual in, who can say how much my body will heal?

It is a very difficult subject, we all think we should have the choice, but sometimes is the choice you make always the right one.

i never want to be a burden on my family or on the people around me and for that reason, as selfish as it may seem i want to end it when the time is right for me, when i am old and i have seen and done the things i need to and i am unable to move in a vegetative state, i just have no idea how you regulate this.....
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i feel that if someone wants to take their life because they are in great pain like from cancer etc. then they should be able to do it. i;d rather die a painless death than suffer for months on end with no hope
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I watched the Terry Pratchett program last night - extremely thought provoking and very well made.

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I think everyone should certainly have the choice, here in the UK, for medical reasons. Not sure I approve of people being allowed to dictate when they die just because they are 'weary of life' as it was put. It's rather shocking that 21% (I think?) of people that died with Dignitas were not doing it for a medical reason...

Anyway, I think choice is the main thing. I have absolutely no idea whether I would choose it or not - and I think it's impossible to until you (god forbid) are actually in that situation yourself.

One things for certain though, if it was Mum (who has cancer actually), family or partner then I would - selfishly I accept - want to keep them with me. I wouldn't want them to suffer, but i'm honestly not sure I would be strong enough to say Goodbye like that. I genuinely don't know if I could do that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    miss notax wrote:
    Not sure I approve of people being allowed to dictate when they die just because they are 'weary of life' as it was put.

Anyway, I think choice is the main thing.
    Choice is the main thing. If those people choose to end it, then why stop them?
  • miss notax
    miss notax wrote:
    Not sure I approve of people being allowed to dictate when they die just because they are 'weary of life' as it was put.

Yep, I get that. It's just the one element that didn't sit well with me. I am uncomfortable with making it 'easier' for people to do that.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• cooldad
    miss notax wrote:

Agreed as if they are going to do it, another option is to jump off a motorway bridge or something equally unpleasant.
    Surely better to let them do it safely to themselves (safe suicide - bit of any oxymoron) and others.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    I think its very much down to the individual. The program was a good watch, but me personally I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the idea. I like to think that tomorrow there'll be a cure for everything, and would be gutted looking down (or up) to discover that the day after I took the cocktail a miracle cure for my terminal disease was released.

That said tho, if the gods decree that I'm to be one of the unfortunates then I might change my mind. Unless you're in that position I don't know that you can give an informed decision :?
    Edward G Robinson's "Soylent Green" check-out for me, given the choice...
    I think actually having a choice in the matter would be a start...
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Arkady001 wrote:

I've not seen the film, I was young when it came out and I remember my mum going to see it and saying it was 'food for thought" [no pun intended]
    I am busy downloading Soylent Green right now...

Back OT:

The assisted suicide video of Peter Smedley is on Liveleak
    I've not linked it directly, so you'll need to trawl if you want to watch it..
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498

The assisted suicide video of Peter Smedley is on Liveleak
    I've not linked it directly, so you'll need to trawl if you want to watch it..

this is the part of the terry pratchett programme i found a vbit distressing though, when mr smedley says he is ready and drinks the solution that will kill him the nurse is then the one holding him and comforting him, surely that should have been his wife, his friend his life long companion of 40 years not some woman he has known for 10 minutes.

The end wasnt what it should have been, i want the choice but my choice will always be to pass away surrounded by the love of my family and not in a clincal way
  • cooldad
    Arkady001 wrote:

Movie was average.
    Harry Harrison book (Make Room Make Room) much better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    kaiser83 wrote:
    this is the part of the terry pratchett programme i found a vbit distressing though, when mr smedley says he is ready and drinks the solution that will kill him the nurse is then the one holding him and comforting him, surely that should have been his wife, his friend his life long companion of 40 years not some woman he has known for 10 minutes.
    Just watched the Pratchett documentary, and you're right about him dying in the arms of a "nurse".
    I come form a family who have always been touchy feely, so to speak, where a hug is always available. I've held my mother in my arms as she cried, weeping in her battle with cancer. I've felt my strong, proud father convulse with tears as he held me and worried about what the future would bring. I've curled up and fallen to sleep crying into my sister's shoulder when our brother passed away.
    For me, coming from a family such as that, the relationship between the husband and wife in the film seemed peculiar.
    I've met a few upper-middle class folk such as they, and whilst it is wholly unfair to claim that they were all aloof and stand-offish, and maybe closed emotionally like that, it would also be false to say I have not seen such relationships before - and that they are not uncommon in folk of such standing.
    However, in the last few moments of life together, I simply cannot get my head around how someone could NOT embrace their loved one as they took their final mouthfulls of air.

Plese don't take this as a slight against the couple, it is not, I'm merely voicing my reaction to what I saw, and my trying to make sense of it. I realise we have only been shown a small part of their goings on.
  • miss notax
    I couldn't agree more with the above post :D

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I'm mixed on this, as so much can happen in life.

Of course with the more extreme circumstances, of extremely poor quality of life so on maybe, But for people who just can't be arsed i'm not so sure. But i'm a fairly big believer in that people should be able to choose what they do to themselves and there own body IE drugs or what ever, as long as it doesn't effect other people.

But i think it's a bit of a mewt point for now, As the UK is run as a Cristian country suicide is against god(I'm not religous by the way) so i doubt it would be alloud until a more modern world veiw is widely accepted. Some people are still creationists i mean so this kinda of person would never accept it.