Ok Next Question Then

gb155
gb155 Posts: 2,048
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So, its agreed that a Carbon MTB is better than a 29'er for Canal Commuting over the winter

and that a Cyclo-x would also be ok for snow covered canal commuting this winter

SO

Do I get a On-One Carbon MTB

or a Cube Cyclo-x

Or something else?
On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
Now the hard work starts.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    UnidentifiedSithLord-TOR.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A good flat bar Hybrid that will take some wider (that is suitable for your commute) tyres....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gb155
    A good flat bar Hybrid that will take some wider (that is suitable for your commute) tyres....

Simon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CX with disc brakes. You know it makes sense.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    They are really pulling you towards The Dark Side. Perverts!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    UnidentifiedSithLord-TOR.jpg

Can't wait for that game to come out. Not happy it doesn't really build on KOTOR. But still can't wait for it to come out, though
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • gb155
    I agree they are all perverts :=)

Im scared to spend a grand on a Cyclo-x, then when the snow hit, it become un ridable, I know I can get marathon winters for a cyclo-x and TBH MTB's do sort of bore me these days

• cjcp
    gb155 wrote:

Im scared to spend a grand on a Cyclo-x, then when the snow hit, it become un ridable, I know I can get marathon winters for a cyclo-x and TBH MTB's do sort of bore me these days

Gaz - I use mine in the snow, I just stick Michelin Mud2s on it and away I go. It's ace!! I had a race with a full susser MTB winter before last on the running/walking track in a nearby Park. It was dark and a day or two after a dumping of snow, so the track couldn't really be seen. The MTBer had the edge on the initial twists and turns and on the final downhill section with tree roots, while I had the edge on the straights and uphill.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gb155
    cjcp wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Gaz - I use mine in the snow, I just stick Michelin Mud2s on it and away I go. It's ace!! I had a race with a full susser MTB winter before last on the running/walking track in a nearby Park. It was dark and a day or two after a dumping of snow, so the track couldn't really be seen. The MTBer had the edge on the initial twists and turns and on the final downhill section with tree roots, while I had the edge on the straights and uphill.

Sounds fair enough , thanks dude, MTB's REALLY do bore me, so a cyclo-x is first choice for sure.

PS how goes it mate ?

• Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I spent a small chunk getting a CX bike up to spec (bought here 2nd hand for peanuts), and I can't help but smile each time I ride the damn thing. It's a real hoot.

I want to try and get the mtb up to that same 'grin-factor', now. Gonna need some luck with that!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    join-the-dark-side-of-the-force-demotivational-poster-1213192420.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    MTB with studs. Or stick Schwalbe winters on the Dogma ! :D

Not another bike...... which one is going now ? :shock:
  • cjcp
    gb155 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Sounds fair enough , thanks dude, MTB's REALLY do bore me, so a cyclo-x is first choice for sure.

Yep, MTBs really are boring. It amazes me that they've managed to develop a whole section on this forum dedicated to MTBs. :twisted: :P
    PS how goes it mate ?

Not so bad. You? Looking to do some CX racing as well?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Can't wait for that game to come out. Not happy it doesn't really build on KOTOR. But still can't wait for it to come out, though
    I know, right? That intro they released recently was better than most of the films...
  • Kieran_Burns
    gb155 wrote:

for fark's sake you skinny little twiglet - where did you lose all your weight? Your brain?

Unrideable?? Pah! I was just about the only bloody thing on the road on my Tricross when the snow hit last year. Fitted vittoria cross xmpro tyres and had a right laugh.

N+1 becomes T+1 with a CX bike :wink:

Lightweight.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gb155
    Urgh, Perverts, Right, come on then, what Cyclo-x is it to be ?

Ideally max of £900

• Kieran_Burns
    The question now becomes: WHICH CX bike....

everyone will simply say whatever they're riding at the moment - I went for the Tricross because of the wide gear range (30/34 to 50/11) on the triple chain set and because it felt instantly comfortable when riding it

You should be asking just what you're going to be using it for - again I picked the Tricross 'cos it has the mounts for racks and 3 (play the game of hunt the 3rd) bottle mounts so it was ideal for commuting (I wanted to use a rack and not rucksack as 14 miles it a bit too much with a sweaty back)

Wait for everyone else to chip in now :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gb155
    Well Mr B, its basically gonna get rode, 18 miles per day, along a frozen, snow covered Canal towpath for approx 4 months ish

• bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Cant beat a "Pashley" c/w basket :lol:
  • cjcp
    Genesis Croix de Fer? Does it come with disc brakes? JDU will be able to shed more light on its spec than me. My Kona is lovely, but the lack of braking power isn't ideal, but it's ace if you don't want to stop in a hurry...

The steel forks on my Kona make for a very comfortable ride.

Or a Ridley Crossbow?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    cjcp wrote:
    My Kona is lovely, but the lack of braking power isn't ideal, but it's ace if you don't want to stop in a hurry...

I've just ordered some Tektro RX5 mini-vs to replace the Frogleggs on the CX to see if they cure that very issue! I've read all the blurb, but thought I'd find out for myself and report back with findings. I would have gone for disks had the frame and forks been set up for them.

I note Cotic are offering complete Xs for 900. But 975 with disks. Haven't ridden one so can't comment on the ride. They look real pretty, but thats no recommendation!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.