The most unnecessary beeping, beat this.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I did the Tour de Weald on Sunday.
We were on a dead straight, really really straight climb.
It was a country road but regular size, ie 2 lanes, no pavement or any other 'furniture'.

As it was a climb, the 10 or so of us on it, were all single file.
2 cars could still have past all of us, they really honestly could.

I'm struggling to state just how 'normal' we were on this road, with NO cars behind us.

None of this stopped a bloke in a Porsche coming the other way, tooting and gesticulating at us, all the way down.

How can you be that angry at 9am on a Sunday morning?

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    When my washing machine finishes its cycle!
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    I've had my fair share of opposite lane beepers. I don't think you really need to do anything to piss them off but be on a bike. You gotta be pretty pathetic to be that pissed off by a cyclist.

que sera sera
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I know how to piss people off.

VERY hilly route. Set garmin to tell me to speed up at 9mph.

STFU GARMIN
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Will.C wrote:
    I've had my fair share of opposite lane beepers.

I only get this when I'm out walking (on the pavement!).

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    My bloody microwave has a snooze-type feature. When it's done, it beeps, which is fine. But then it beeps again every thirty seconds.

SHUT UP MICROWAVE I KNOW YOU HAVE FINISHED! DOES IT NOT OCCUR TO YOU I MIGHT WANT TO LEAVE THE FOOD IN THERE TO STAY WARM? HMM?

I might be letting this get to me more than it should.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Probably a self-loathing Boxter driver.

I've encountered a couple of these oncoming lane beepers though and on both ocassions they felt the need to point to the so-called cycle lane (half the pavement stolen and filled with glass, flexi-lead shod dogs and people walking five/six/seven abreast). No thank you.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Lagavulin wrote:

Yep, he probably wishes he'd bought the 911 rather than the base model Boxter that a tricked out MX5 could outrun!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • dgstewart
    dgstewart Posts: 252
    Zachariah wrote:
    My bloody microwave has a snooze-type feature. When it's done, it beeps, which is fine. But then it beeps again every thirty seconds.

SHUT UP MICROWAVE I KNOW YOU HAVE FINISHED! DOES IT NOT OCCUR TO YOU I MIGHT WANT TO LEAVE THE FOOD IN THERE TO STAY WARM? HMM?

I might be letting this get to me more than it should.

My new microwave does this too - it annoys the f*&k out of me. Like you, I end up shouting at it to STFU! I'm honestly close to binning it or giving it to charity just to get one that doesn't do this.

It's the little things that get to you sometimes...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,182
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I did the Tour de Weald on Sunday.
    We were on a dead straight, really really straight climb.
    It was a country road but regular size, ie 2 lanes, no pavement or any other 'furniture'.

As it was a climb, the 10 or so of us on it, were all single file.
    2 cars could still have past all of us, they really honestly could.

I'm struggling to state just how 'normal' we were on this road, with NO cars behind us.

None of this stopped a bloke in a Porsche coming the other way, tooting and gesticulating at us, all the way down.

Probably married so didn't get any on Saturday night when all his mates did.
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    PostieJohn wrote:

Absolutely no idea but at least we get the satisfaction that they are so angry whilst we are out on our bikes. It is a win, win situation.

That doesn't stop me being amazed at the odd persons stupidity on the road!
  • PostieJohn wrote:

I had a fella jump out on me at 8 30am in the North Yorks Moors one day. I was still have asleep having raced the night before and not slept well, but I remember he was extremely angry. Properly red in the face and everything.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • ihazon303
    ihazon303 Posts: 55
    Lagavulin wrote:

Love it...

I was rounding a roundabout, as is the custom, and a van pulled out in front of me, towing another van on a rope. Obviously that halted my progress, but the driver looked at me for quite a while before sounding his horn.

Could have been a warning, or in anger, either way it was quite unnecessary.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Pross wrote:
    But I have a graph...
    sexfreq.gif

Just thought I'd, errr, stick up for the marrieds
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Nice graph!

You could spend hours postulating theories for the area between the "men" and "women" lines. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 227
    My toaster has 6 beeps when the toast pops up. The noise of the toast popping up is louder than the beeps.

Pointless.
  • Bozman wrote:
    When my washing machine finishes its cycle!

& mobile phones when they have a low battery that beeps every 5 minutes, retarded or what, low on power so make it use more grrrr.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    But I have a graph...
    sexfreq.gif

It just says frequency of sex, not whether it's actually with their spouses.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    But I have a graph...
    sexfreq.gif

I assume the 'Frequency Index' refers to per week?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    This graph say that men either lie about how much sex they have, or a lot more of them are doing each other than I imagined.
  • Pross
    Aggieboy wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    But I have a graph...
    sexfreq.gif

I assumed year based on personal experience (and being married)? So as married men are having more than married women and a lot more than unmarried women who are they having it with? Surely it must be either other married men or themselves - in which case I won't complain about lack of frequency anymore :shock:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    guinea wrote:
    This graph say that men either lie about how much sex they have, or a lot more of them are doing each other than I imagined.

If you removed the hundreds of professional footballers and the small handful of Women that seem to being shared around them then the figures might even out a bit.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    My car beeps when I open the door and they keys are still in it.

It really really bugs me. I don't know why it does it, I can't lock the car without the keys, so it seems pointless.

If I want to clean the car with the radio on I have to bring my little battery radio out or keep the doors closed so I can't hear it.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Pross wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    But I have a graph...
    sexfreq.gif

I assumed year based on personal experience (and being married)? So as married men are having more than married women and a lot more than unmarried women who are they having it with? Surely it must be either other married men or themselves - in which case I won't complain about lack of frequency anymore :shock:

A year!!! :shock: I'm no Casanova but that has to be wrong. Who did they speak to, John Bobbit?
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Pross
    The year assumption is based purely on personal experience lol
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Or maybe he was a cycling fan, and was beeping and waving his arms about as encouragement. You see people doing that at the tour de france alot. Not from cars though on the side of the road, everywhere.

Maybe you just mis-interpreted what he was doing.