Preparation for big ride without training.....?

JimmerG
JimmerG Posts: 143
Oh Lord..... I've just signed up for the CRC Marathon ride at Marshbrook on the 3rd of July, and I'm going to have a stab at the 80km course.

I can do this, I know I can... I did 60km around Afan a month or two ago, years ago I rode 300km round a lake in Sweden (on the road)

Trouble is, these days I've got 4 young children and a frazzled wife to look after so getting miles in on the bike is just not going to happen.

Now the only thing that gives out on me during long rides - is my legs. I just loose all power after about 50km.

What can I do in the next 2 weeks to prevent this happening, bearing in mind on-bike training is out of the question?

Carbo load for 2 weeks? Try some of that muscle building protein stuff?

What do you reckon?

Thanks

J

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Exercise uses carbs first then fat. If you a do a bit of carbo-loading prior to the ride you will have about 400g of carbs stored as glycogen in your muscles, you can probably increase this to 600g if you carbo-load during the ride which will take you past the 50km barrier.

You will need at least a couple of 8oz cups of proppa coffee an hour before the ride, then take as much High 5 Energy source as you can on the ride and keep drinking it. If you wait until you feel fatigued it's too late. Use the caffeinated Energy source or combine it with caffeinated electrolytes to keep the caffeine going. It will reduce the sensation of fatigue, help you metabolise the carbs and regulate your energy output.

Take some gels as well they really help when it all seems too much. Protein does nothing during excercise but a little afterwards can be beneficial.

Good luck
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I'd go on a diet week 1, if you have anything to shed, then do stretching exercises, but also if you can get out, you will need to leather up your arse a bit.