Hope mounts for tri bars.

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Want to upgrade my lights to a Hope 2/District combo:

hope-district-3.jpg

My aero bridge arrived in the post today for the tri bars and its much skinnier than anticipated! I've lost the box my Hope 1 came in and can't remember if there is another mount for thinner bars?

Hope website says it has some 25.4mm spacers but doesn't look small enough, anyone seen any DIY solutions?

IMG_1151copy.jpg

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Hope 1 I have comes with 1 mount but with a thin and a thick rubber insert so there is some accommodation. Whether enough I'm not sure...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    Thanks, sure I left the packaging somewhere, best get hunting...

Don't want to take my tri bars off come winter :evil: maybe a space grip will save the day!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    So... were the tri-bars in trouble then?

How did it all end?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    They are safe.... for now.. time is on their side! Don't need a front light for a few months but want to buy both and use the battery from the front light on the rear for summer.

Found the bungs but they don't tighten enough to get a grip... sooo close yet so far.

As daft as they look, a space grip might be a winner.

IMG_1154copy.jpg

I'll take my sideways speedo off the stem for the time being and put it on the front :lol:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hope.springs eternal. :?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Now I know this isn't posh and refined but how about a piece of old inner tube wraped tightly around the bar and just use the existing mount?

Just asking. :wink:
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • sharky1029
    sharky1029 Posts: 188
    Some black tape would work well but i think with the size of the gap the innertube solution is probably your best bet.
    Unless you have thousands of those little rubber things that come with rubbish lights.
  • iPete
    Aye, was thinking about bar tape on the ride in this morning, I think its close enough that it should be do-able now, shall give some inner tube a go first.

Can't wait for the Hope2 & District to turn up :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    iPete wrote:
    Aye, was thinking about bar tape on the ride in this morning, I think its close enough that it should be do-able now, shall give some inner tube a go first.

Can't wait for the Hope2 & District to turn up :D

Ahhh.... there's hope yet :)

(the hope is great btw - on the 3rd setting, which is all you need, it lights up the same kind of area as a car dipped beam. I had the cateye pointing right in front of the wheel and the vision 2 beyond that - lit up WAY enough road for me to see safely by)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • iPete
    Thanks!

How dinky is the hope 2! for some reason it gets a better grip than my Hope 1, so don't need to do anything drastic to my bars. Such a great system hooked up to the District at the back through 1 battery.

Not wishing bad weather on myself but look forward to using it on a grey day soon.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Light up your back garden at night - it's flaming great.

Oh and for gawd's sake don't even think of directly looking at the light when it's switched on!

Winter is when it comes into its own - I have total confidence at night when cycling out in the country on completely unlit roads.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X