Food before riding

Mr Dinky
Mr Dinky Posts: 17
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Ive been back into biking for a couple of years and one of my problems (yes there are several) is that when I get home from work I am very hungry so I eat rather than get on my bike.

its not practical for me to take food into work for a mid afternoon snack so i have to wait until I get home

How long do I need to leave it after eating before riding? and has any one got any suggestions of an alternative

I tend not to have large meals when I get in chicken and veg, pasta etc but need to get out on the bike more especially with the lighter nights.

Comments

• bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Usually what I do is just to eat light when I arrive home. Like a banana and a muesly bar or something like that. Then take a couple of muesly bars with me and every half hour or so take a bite. I find this helps me because pedaling with a full stomach has had a few bad results in the past (vomits, cramps, etc). And also keeps something on your stomach so you never get hungry.

I read somewhere that ideally you should eat something light about an hour before riding.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    bentes wrote:
    Usually what I do is just to eat light when I arrive home. Like a banana and a muesly bar or something like that. Then take a couple of muesly bars with me and every half hour or so take a bite. I find this helps me because pedaling with a full stomach has had a few bad results in the past (vomits, cramps, etc). And also keeps something on your stomach so you never get hungry.

I read somewhere that ideally you should eat something light about an hour before riding.

+1 to everything he said
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    +2

David
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    Yep as above. I'm Type 1 Diabetic and nearly always have to carb load pre-ride and often during too if my blood sugar level drops. Never had a problem with cramps and puking...Although have had near brown trouser moments on occasion :shock:

If you dont want to eat loads try supplements/sports drink/gels...Look at tour de france riders, 7-8,000 calorie intake a day and a lot of that is during the race....You'll be fine.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    eating before doesn't work for everybody but some people can get away with it.
    experiment with different amounts of food prior to riding
    or have a big/late lunch and worry about eating after