From Marathon Plus to Durano Plus

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone changed from the 1kg bomb proof Marathon plus to the lighter 620g Durano Plus ?

I have covered over 15,000 miles of commuting on London Street with Marathon Plus tyres and never had a problem or an issue, they seem to last for miles. But since I have heard about the Durano Plus, which also has the SmartGuard, I wondered if I may go for it.

I see cjcp has used them, anyone else ?

Comments

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I've got them on the Viner, as I ended up doing the E2E on the Condor I switched that over to them as well. Superb tyres, roll well, and no problems in 000s of miles. No visits on either Pedal to Paris or the LeJOG.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    for the same size it's not so much the weight as to the design.

Marathon plus 25mm - 580g
    Durano Plus 25mm - 380g

the Durano is lighter and racer so less protection, but do you need bomb proof tyres?

for the commute bike I've gone for the Marathon plus as a puncture is a royal pain, for the old roadie I have the Durano which still feels lightish.
  • I use Durano + and think they are great.

I also have Marathon + on a hybrid.

Durano + are much faster for not a lot less protection IMO. I ran mudguards for 4 months over the winter with Durano + tyres. After taking the guards off, I checked the rear tyre (had not done it since adding the guards :oops: ) and removed a couple of stones from the rubber. I have no idea how long were there but they did not cause any problems.

The worst thing about these tyres I am finding myself getting complacent with them and never check them over due to my confidence in them
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use M+ on the winter bike, used D+ on the fixed (until I donated it to a new owner in return for some cash) and I use Durano S on the best bike commuting wheels.

They are all brilliant. Touch wood, I've never had an incident with the M+ or the D+. The only reason I even used the Marathons was because I had them lying around and it saved me getting another set of tyres.

All excellent tyres.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Thanks, guys.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I was wondering whether to change from M+ to D+ on my Boardman hybrid as my old Giant mtb seems to roll much faster with Schwalbe cityjets on. How much less protection does the Durano have and would the 25mm fit on my Boardman ok, it has 28mm marathons on at the moment
  • saladdays
    saladdays Posts: 92
    What you really want is Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons. Mine are 28mm wide and weigh 260g. I've had two on the front and only had two punctures in 7000 miles (broken bottle neck and a drawing pin).