The Power of Rest

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
It doesn't fail to amaze me that I can take two weeks off the bike, jump back on it and do my best time, if not ever (I think I'm damn close), of the year. To make it more impressive, I've actually been ill in that 2 week spell. I got a really nasty cold sore/fever blister which left me in bed with a fever 10 days ago and, whilst car racing at Cadwell Park was out of puff just walking up sloping terrain. I have no doubt I was run-down (it's not every year my son has cancer). But I'm still amazed I can jump on the bike for the first time in nearly 3 weeks last night and then this morning blitz my ride in in completely normal conditions (wind direction, speed, temperature).

If previous experience is anything to go by, this step-up in performance stays with me too. I assume my body's had the chance to do the repairs and adaptions. Only if I have a long period off (like the 2 months when my son was first diagnosed) do I seem to lose these gains.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Sorry to hear about your son mate!

I find the difference in performance with just a day or two off makes a huge difference, but the problem is, in order to achieve that, you need to take a day or two off!
  • meanredspider
    Sorry to hear about your son mate!

Thanks - he's doing well which is probably one of the reasons why I was ill - the release of pressure. It's a year of treatment (should finish in Sept) which has been a real grind - especially as it's done in Glasgow - 180 miles away.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Had a week off a couple of weeks ago. Works a treat. But the rest has to come when I'm on holiday. The muscles being rested, more sleep, more food. All good. Especially the food bit. :D

All the best for your son and your family.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    dont really get to rest mon-fri, but oddly i'm usually getting slightly quicker towards the tail end of the week??

Did the London Marathon back in April. Booked a few weeks off work around that time for recovery... Marathon on sunday, rested mon/tues, smashed my 10mile PB on the bike wednesday morning then rocked up at the doctors for an asthma test appointment just after! Had a discussion which went along the lines of...

Me: You dont seriously think i could have asthma do you?
    Doc: we have to test, why do you think you dont?
    Me: Did the marathon 3 days ago, and just been out cycling and smashed my PB for 10 miles just an hour ago
    Doc: was you out of breath during the marathon?
    Me: no
    Doc: We have to test anyway. Breathe here (etc)
    Doc: Well you dont have asthma

Into the hospital this evening for bloods and chest scans
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • meanredspider
    cjcp wrote:

All the best for your son and your family.

Thank you.