Melton Rotary Porkpies Cicle Challenge

cyclingvet
cyclingvet Posts: 131
Any body know what's happened to this sportive on July 3rd? Web site gone down and even the Rutland Melton Cicle Classic web site ( run by same organiser) has gone down.

I'm sure there are a few people who have paid up front who are getting a bit worried. No response to email sent to Colin Clewes, the organiser. Will make phone call later today.

Comments

• marge602
    marge602 Posts: 22
    Hi. Yeah me and a mate have entered. Neither of us have heard anything since signing up and paying the entry fee. We've both had an email from paypal saying the money has been sent/recieved, but that's it. At the moment i'm mostly concerned about how to tackle the off-road/farm track sections on a road bike, but hearing(or reading) this is also a worry. Can you let me know if your phone call clears anything up?

Regards

Marge
  • cyclingvet
    cyclingvet Posts: 131
    Spoke to Colin Clew's wife today. Event still on. Cicle Classic Web site down, but the sportive web site is still up, but not under the name mentioned in both Cycling Plus's sportive guide and on the Cyclosport web site.

It is now called the East Midlands Cicle Challenge, July 3rd and web site is

http://www.sysonby.com/eastmidlandsciclechallenge/

I don't know how they hope to get many riders when the listings in both a web site and magazine have it under a different name.

Regarding your worries re off road sections- from the web site

"In response to comments received from a number of active sportif riders that although they wish to 'experience' the roads that the International CiCLE Classic riders take in April each year, they would prefer to not have to traverse the 'worst off road' sections. In view of this, for 2011 it will be possible to take alternative routes around these sections which will in the main not involve any unecessary delays over those traversing the likes of 'Somerberg".

We appreciate that riding over very 'off road' terrain on carbon and similar bikes is not everyones 'cup of tea', and in our wish for such riders to still enjoy the unique course that we have to offer, we hope that the above change will therefore cover the needs of all parties."

I did enter this event about 3 weeks ago via a link from the Cicle Classic web site ( now down) and emailed about the possibility of a gpx file form my Garmin, but got no reply.
  • marge602
    marge602 Posts: 22
    This event has now been cancelled. Rather gutted really, but at least the organisers seem to be refunding entry fees.
  • There is an alternative local event the week after - the Peterborough Cycling club sportive.

See http://www.peterboroughcyclingclub.co.uk/content/view/517/70/ for details and to download an entry form.

Among the 100 plus entries so far is Sigma Sport rider Steve Lampier, winner of the sprints competition in this years Halfords Tour Series.

Hope to see you there