Shimano es25 73mm in 68mm frame?

captainfly
captainfly Posts: 1,001
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am buiding up a bike out of the bits I already have, the frame that I've got coming has a 68mm shell and the BB I already have is a shimno es25 73mm wide with 118mm axle, can I use this BB with a 2.5mm spacer on either side (again I have some knocking around), The axle is the right length for the crankset so the chainline should be alright.
Does this sound alright? The only issue I can see is loosing the 2.5mm of thread but there looks plenty left. Have I missed anything?
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    TBH I cant think of a reason why not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I asked this same question in another thread and was told no. How bizarre.....
  • Quote:
    So- can an "internal" BB like this be spaced by putting spacers between it and the frame?

No, you need the correct BB.

From my On One/BB spacing thread. :?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Quote:
    So- can an "internal" BB like this be spaced by putting spacers between it and the frame?

IIRC we were talking totally different situation.

you cant just move the BB over to one side without needing to have a longer axle.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • captainfly
    Quote:

You wanted to put a 68mm BB in a 73mm frame, which will just pull the axle over to the driveside loosing 2.5 axle length on non driveside and pushing the chainline over by 2.5mm., what I want to do is use a 73mm BB in a 68mm frame, I am just widening the BB shell and keeping the same chainline as the axle length is right for thr the chainset(all oem from my teocali). At east I think that's what I am doing :roll:
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Should be fine. Is what I am doing with mine anyway!
  • captainfly
    supersonic wrote:
    Should be fine. Is what I am doing with mine anyway!

Wicked, it is just to smooth to get rid of :)
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

• Yeah I know where the wires are crossed here, your axle length is correct so spacing it out should be ok- [Admin ]<Snip> keep it in your own topic so as not to confuse the issue[/Admin]