PLEASE HELP! I'm going crazy

johnson1985
johnson1985 Posts: 38
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
hey, I've done loads of posts on here and got loads of really helpful advice for which I'm grateful! But I still haven't got a bike and I'm really annoying myself now....

I want a good quality hybrid bike (£250-£300), only for riding around town and maybe down a country path on a bike ride once every few months....I don't want anything too professional as it will be wasted on me!

I was about to get the carrera gryphon from halfords, but after reading reviews found out that the wheels buckle easily and the spokes snap all the time. Plus, I understand halfords can be hit and miss, so I think I'm going to avoid it (despite it apparently having a good spec)

Anyway, I've seen these on evans cycles, and because I don't really know anything about specifications, can you please help me out by telling me what you think is the better bike?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mon ... e-ec026600

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec026505

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec027459

would massively appreciate any help - my indecisiveness is killing me!

cheers,

steve

Comments

• gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    at that price point, its close

Consider second hand

If I was pushed, i'd say Kona
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You'll get five times as much bike for your money going second hand at this price point. It's not about 'too professional' - unless you start looking at £10K hyperbikes of course.

A 'better' bike won't be won't be more fragile or require more maintenance (in fact likely the opposite) but what it will be is more pleasureable to ride - ergo you'll probably ride it a lot more.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I started on the Gryphon and had no problems with it whatsoever - the only reason I stepped up to the Tricross was that I was increasing the mileage and the bridleways were killing the moving parts on the Gryphon.

For getting 'round town and the odd bridleway, the bike was fine.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ok cheers for the advice - do you know anywhere I can get good second hand bikes from? The only place I can think of it is ebay really, but I'm apprehensive because I'd quite like the expert advice that comes with buying them from a shop....
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    At that price range you can also consider the Giant escape 3. its a fine bike for your purpose and is what my wife rides for commuting and leisure rides.

As a beginner i think it is worthwhile buying fro your local shop so you can try for size and have the staff talk through your needs. Also if you buy new you have the confidence that it is a new bike so nothing should go wrong for a year. With a local bike shop they can sort out any issues and you get a first 'check up' 6 week or so service as part of the deal.
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    Thay all look like nice bikes - the only thing that strikes me is that they all have pretty wide tyres on them - 35mm.

If you are going to be commuting daily and only heading down the bridleways 3 or 4 times per year then you might be better looking at something with 28mm tyres. You might have to be a bit more cautious off road but you'll go faster for less effort on your daily commute!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Another option if you're interested

Halfords Carrera TDF Ltd Ed.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710

With code PPBIKE to drop the price to £270

Halfords (mid-higher range, not the £50 BSOs) bikes are fine, it's the people that work there that can be crap, but the same can be said of Evans
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think of the three I'd go for the Kona.
    7000 series aluminium frame, possibility to upgrade to a disc braked rear wheel, unbelievably low lowest gear (22.2").
    As Little Poisson said, the tyres are pretty wide, you'll probably want to go down to a thinner tyre once you choose your steed.

I'd steer clear of the Mongoose. Only 7 gears in comparison to 21 and 24 for the other two, twist shifters (I'm not a fan of them), old skool bottom bracket, old skool headset.

Pinnacle is Evan's own brand. That should bring some economy of scale and value for money. Its a good looking bike with decent components. Not a bad buy, but considering the Kona is cheaper, of the three, I'd go for the Kona.

But I'd really be thinking that 2nd hand is the way forward at this price. Where are you based? There are enough of us on here that if you find a 2nd hand bike that you like the look of but are unsure about I'm sure someone could have a look at it to offer an opinion.

If you are in/near Leeds, check this out http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Boardman-Team-Hyb ... 3a66d8b5bc
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    ok cheers for the advice - do you know anywhere I can get good second hand bikes from? The only place I can think of it is ebay really, but I'm apprehensive because I'd quite like the expert advice that comes with buying them from a shop....

Do some googling and see if you have a local Cycle Recycle. Some serious bargains to be had in those places.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    +1 for ReCycle :evil:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

Deal of the decade? Quite possibly.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Halcyon looks like a corker at that price - almost makes me unhappy to be over 6ft2 (...must...resist... the N+1 ...must...must)
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's in the online store from my (ruddy good) LBS, it looks even classier in the metal than on the screen (they used to have one on display in store), for £299 its gobsmacking value if its what you want.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    What is a Roller Hub Brake? Not heard of it before, therefore I fear it...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    I don't like the sound of the alloy fork, the old version of the Carrera Subway 8 from Halfords, which I have, is very similar but with a chromo fork. The current Subway 8 is a lot better with disc brakes and clever eccentric BB and vertical drop-outs, and is on offer at £399 at the moment: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534.

There are also cheaper derailleur versions of the Subway: Subway 2 has discs for £290 and Subway 1 has v-brakes for £260. Good sturdy bikes for all types of terrain.
  • Cheers for the help everyone, I think based on that I'm gonna weight it up between the Kona and the Giant Escape 3

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 846/48652/

Much appreciated!