Rear hub bearing replacement - Boardman Pro FS

stueyscott
stueyscott Posts: 112
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
The bearings are begining to grind abit in the rear wheel hub of my Boardman Pro FS. Looking on the website it just says cartridge bearing.

Anybody any ideas on the right type, where I can get a replacement and how easy they are likely to be to change, i.e. do I need any specific tools.

Cheers

Stu

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy job, look on the bearing it will have a code number.
    Loads of bearing suppliers online or find a shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    Did you get this resolved? I am about to tackle the exact same job on the same bike.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Me too. I've discovered the two bearings are a 6000-2RS and a 6803RU.
    Some details in this thread on my education into hubs so far.
    Did you guys get the bearings out?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • I did manage to change the bearings but it didn't feel as smooth as it should. To be honest I came to the conclusion the hubs are cheap and cheerful so just replaced them with Superstar Evos.

Not a cheap option but I wanted to get my bike up and running asap..
  • d3matt
    I would be very happy to buy a new hub now, but it's problem of rebuilding the wheel which is putting me off. Or do I just buy a new wheelset? Getting these passed my wife will be difficult! :lol:

• I just bought a new wheelset from Superstar for £220 with Stans Crest rims. I use the bike for commuting so that was my excuse to the wife. Good Luck.
  • d3matt
    And is there a noticeable difference between these and the original Ritchey wheels?

• Well for starters the rims are tubeless so less punctures, but the hubs spin so much smoother plus they feel like a quality bit of kit.

Also SS should offer tech support when needed.
  • d3matt
    I've been running my original Ritchey OCR Disc rims tubeless too with Stans Notubes and Bont Mud-X tyres. It very easy to make them seal and have been puncture free for the last 3 months now, while mates on the same rides got punctures.
    I do fancy changing the rims, but I really need some other reason that just failed bearings in my rear hub to justify the cost. I too was looking at the SuperStar build with Stans rims. I've now slightly bent my front Ritchey rim twice now after falls. First time I got the LBS to true it up, but I've left it now the second time. So I was wondering if Stans Crest rims would be stronger or weaker than then Ritcheys, so considering the Flow rims.

• Also dont forget the Evo hubs come in bling colours! I went for red...