Boardman pro ht large frame

togg
togg Posts: 80
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
just got this bike from halfords and I got the large frame size, kind of regretting it now because my inside leg is about 31" and I'm just under 6ft. Got the seat pushed forward a bit and it sort of fits ok, my legs are not fully locked out and neither are my arms, just a very slight bend in my arms.

There is roughly an 1" clearance on the frame with my feet flat on the floor. Any suggestions for a more comfortable fit?

Comments

• paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    iv got the large ht comp and im only 5ft8 with a 30inside leg and i feel the reach is fine, the goolies sit right on the bar when i stand flat but thats the price im willing to take :lol: mind you i like to stretch out abit as i have a dodgy back and im also used to having sports motor bikes so sitting more upright didnt feel right on the medium bike
  • togg
    Thanks that's reassuring to hear, I never even tried the medium frame. it just feels like my arms are stretched out a little too much, I can still pull the seat forward a bit more yet.

I guess this particular bike in large frame size is not super large so to speak to fit giant people? If that makes any sense
  • paul_75
    there wasnt realy that much of a difference in the size between the 2
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    im 5ft 11 and got a 20inc frame (large) and it fits good as above paul said when i stand over the frame there is about 1inc to 2inc from my nuts but the ride feels fine.

you might need to mess with seat or poss change the stem till you get the right fit.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    I would say that a medium frame would suit you all better . Ideally you should have a gap the size of a fist between yourself and the frame. Pelvic damage from hitting the top tube can cause major problems . If your reach is to short the longer stem or bar ends would help you out.

The other thing is that saddle height to handle bar ratio is also important. The saddle should be the same height or higher than the bars upto 10cm for normal riding. I'm 6ft and find large frame sizes to long and to tall for the correct riding position ( I have 33in inside leg)

I would strongly suggest trying a medium frame.
  • paul_75
    NatoED wrote:
    I would say that a medium frame would suit you all better . Ideally you should have a gap the size of a fist between yourself and the frame. Pelvic damage from hitting the top tube can cause major problems . If your reach is to short the longer stem or bar ends would help you out.

The other thing is that saddle height to handle bar ratio is also important. The saddle should be the same height or higher than the bars upto 10cm for normal riding. I'm 6ft and find large frame sizes to long and to tall for the correct riding position ( I have 33in inside leg)

I would strongly suggest trying a medium frame.

as far as im aware there is no "correct riding possition" only what feels best to the rider is it not?
  • NatoED
    there is a correct riding position . having the seat to low / below handle bar height for long rides can cause pain and muscular problems . It forces the rider to arch the low back putting excess strain . Having the saddle set level or above the handle bars also rotates the riders centre of gravity more central to the bike. This gives you greater control over traction ; be it front or rear wheels , with smaller shifts of body position . These smaller shifts saves you energy over longer rides . Having the saddle the same height or higher than the bars ensures that your core muscles support your weight not just the muscles in your lower back and shoulders . So called comfortable riding positions can sometimes be the worst riding positions for your body .

Getting a correct riding position can mean a hard ride suddenly becomes a much more enjoyable one . Bear in mind that if your body is not used to the setup you will feel a few muscle aches but that's just because your now using muscles that you were not before.

What can feel good to a rider can be really bad. A good example are brake levers . some people find it "comfortable " to have them level with the ground or pointing up slightly . then they find that they get numb hands. Having the levers level will put pressure on the arteries in the wrist (which can lead to carpel tunnel syndrome) . where as when they move the levers so they are pointing down between 38 - 45 deg they find it "wrong" but then they don't have the numb hands.

Look at the way pro riders have their XC bikes setup . You don't need to be as extreme as them but it gives you a good idea as to the best position for MTBing .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    NatoED wrote:
    waffle waffle
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • NatoED
    sorry but not waffle . talk to a physiotherapist about back problems and wrong size bikes and setups.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Surely these wrong positions aren't comfortable though if they are in pain!
  • NatoED
    it al depends on where the pain is . If it's in core muscle areas then it's using muscles your not used too. Like when you don't ride for a while then go out for a few hours. Getting some one to look at your shape on the bike is a big help. you have to avoid any bends in your back by pivoting at the hips.
  • togg
    would raising the handle bars up higher make any difference, just so I'm not reaching out with my arms fully stretched? not sure if this is possible or easy to do?
  • NatoED
    you would need a shorter stem . a high rise bar would not help you that much
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I rode a 20" HT Pro for 2 years, I'm 5'11" and it was fine. There is obviously a degree of personal choice and variation in body shapes, but it's not necessarily 'wrong'.

I got a shorter stem (70mm) to replace the Ritchey one that I thought was 100mm but was actually 110mm. I'd recommend trying that, and maybe getting a seatpost with no layback.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • NatoED
    in some ways true so you made a 20inch frame the same as a medium frame but with less stand over and longer wheel base so it won't change direction as quickly .
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    I'm 5'8" with a 30" leg and ride a small/16" frame, always have and always will, it feels so much more flickable and agile, very comfy to ride. Anything bigger and i'm stretched out to much and it feels like i'm straddling a farm gate :lol:
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • theotherjake
    theotherjake Posts: 237
    The same thing happened to me, I ended up buying a medium frame and using a 70mm stem. I am 5'11 btw.

IMG_0299_640.jpg
  • NatoED
    that looks pretty much how the bike should be set up . with the saddle level or higher than the bars .