New wheels...?

nickyhoward55
nickyhoward55 Posts: 148
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
I have a pretty low end bike - spesh allez - and some of the bits are a little crappy. The first thing i feel i'd like to change is the wheels. There ok....but a little heavy and not that stiff. Ive taken a look over some websites and theres so much choice that i thought i'd ask your advice if you dont mind?!

My budget isnt huge so i was looking at something like

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fulcrum/racing-5-wheelset-ec021559

and while i know you should never buy something just because you like the way it looks, but i like those!

or maybe

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mavic/aksium-2010-wheelset-ec021394

you cant really go wrong with mavic :)

Is there any real advantage to the different spoke designs? Theres some campagnolo cyclocross wheels with sets of 3 spokes that look really nice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Aksiums and Fulcrum 7s are pretty similar in performance, both are pretty robust and reliable but not the lightest. Planet X model Bs are a lot lighter and better value and would be my choice for that budget.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Aksiums and Fulcrum 7s are pretty similar in performance, both are pretty robust and reliable but not the lightest. Planet X model Bs are a lot lighter and better value and would be my choice for that budget.

Nice tip there! And only £99 for the pair.

Before i place an order.....do you think i will see an improvement over the stock wheels?

(Rims:
    Alex S500, aluminium, sleeve joint, CNC machined sidewalls
    Front Hub:
    Forged aluminium, sealed, QR, 32h
    Rear Hub:
    Forged aluminium, double-sealed, cassette, QR, 32h
    Spokes:
    Stainless 14g)

Thanks.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    If you are looking for a Campag freehub Merlin have some 2009 Fulcrum 5s which with their free VIP membership and shimano10 offer code (even though they are not a shimano product) brings the Fulcrum 5s to just over £120 - very good at that price IMO (although others will still recommend Planet X B's at that price). Merlin Shimano10 code runs out tonight I believe.

Ribble are doing Fulcrum 5s for both shimano/campag for just over £150 - cheaper than your link. Get some decent tyres with the savings. :D
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Get yourself some Planet X B's, and pair them up with a nice set of tyres such as Conti GP4000s (my pref) or Michelin Pro 3's etc. and you'll be flying :wink: