How much bike is too much for commuting?

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I started commuting last year on a hybrid and cover about 100 miles a week now (primarily through London traffic). I am now looking at my first road bike but the ones I like are around the £1000 mark. Or is the answer that you can never spend too much on a bike :wink:

I've had some friends tell me that I'm off my head to spend a grand on a road bike primarily used for commuting. They tell me that I should go for an entry level or just above since it will get trashed. I'd quite like one with carbon forks and a decent set of components to make my ride more comfortable and more fun and it'll be locked up (indoors) at either end. I'm a fair-weather commuter from Nov-Feb so really how trashed would it get?

So... a grand on a first commuting road bike... stupid or not? The options on the table (opinions welcome) are the Cannondale Synergy 105, the Specialized Dolce Elite or the Eddie Merckx AFX-1. Since fit-wise I'm looking at needing a 48cm WSD frame/components, it's tough to test ride them but from riding the model down (component wise) in the Cannondale and Specialized, they both feel comfortable.

I don't think it's solely the money I think it's a combination of money and spec.

£999 3 years ago could get you a carbon fibre frame and either Shimano or Ultegra groupset. I would say that was little 'much' for commuting.

£999 these days will likely get you an aluminium frame and either tiagra or 105 which is ideal for commuting. (you could find bikes of this spec at that price 3 years ago but back then they'd be considered a rip-off unless serviced by God, how times changed).

People tend to go cheaper not because they can't afford the £1000 bike but mostly down to the cost of maintaining the bike. If you have a Dura Ace rear mech then when the cassette or chain wears out you are going to want to replace it with something of similar quality that's going to cost about £150 every 6 to eight months. Also should you need to replace the bike or insure it the costs are going to mirror the value of the bike.

This is why people tend to have a best bike for the weekends and have a cheaper to run commuting bike for work. (You wouldn't drive the Ferrari every day to work, best left to the weekends).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Oi, I said it first with my "£20 a week" post. I demand some credit!!!

it was vastly underpriced
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hi applespider, nice to see you here from the 'other' board. Sounds like you got the bike fit worked out now :)
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    dhope wrote:
    SE London to City on one of the things ndru mentioned doesn't look fun to me. Maybe if you're delivering Hovis to the local farm shop...

Surely this is the ideal opportunity for a Vicky P photo. I'm disappointed in you all.

vpendletonhovis.jpg
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I have had this discussion many times with non cyclists.

The best answer I have come up with; 'we are not riding to the end of the road to pick up a pint of milk or walking the dog along the canal'

We are riding to and from work on a (often) dayly basis and need something strong, relaible, that can pound out the miles and withstand lots of traffic light Grand Prixs !
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    [If you have a Dura Ace rear mech then when the cassette or chain wears out you are going to want to replace it with something of similar quality that's going to cost about £150 every 6 to eight months.
    Sorry can't have that. I commute on a nice bike, mainly because I can and because not using the best kit for the job is a bit bonkers to me. It runs an Ultegra g/s, has done close on 7000 miles still on the original cogs and has plenty left in it. The only concession was to buy a new chain with the bike and then swap the two every 1500 miles or so; and keep it all clean - whip the cassette off occasionally, clean out the black gunk that accumulates, do the same with the jockey wheels on the rear mech and treat the chain like the wife - keep it clean and lightly oiled, and don't drag it through the mud.

Better kit isn't flimsy & liable to fall apart. It works better, performs better and repays you if it's looked after properly. Better to have something that you can enjoy rather than putting up with some third rate tat just in case the good stuff wears out.

As you were chaps.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    CiB wrote:
    ....and treat the chain like the wife - keep it clean and lightly oiled, and don't drag it through the mud.

Poetic and sage advice, and one I will whisper quietly in the garage.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    CiB wrote:
    ....and treat the chain like the wife - keep it clean and lightly oiled, and don't drag it through the mud.
    As Swiss Toni would say "Maintaining a bike is like making love to a beautiful woman. Keep it clean and lightly oiled and don't drag it through the mud."
    swiss-toni.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    My feeling is that you can spend what you like because
    a) you will use it a lot, may as well enjoy it
    b) if it is replacing the costs of a travel pass or a car then you are making big savings which would pay for a lot of bike.

The only constraints (apart from my slight tightwad tendencies) are practicality. A commuting bike needs to be as hassle free as possible.

I need to leave my bike chained at a station. Having anything too flash just invites trouble which I can do without. Also I would get a bit upset about the paint/carbon chips that inevitably happen around crowded bike racks. The other kind of hassle is maintenance (time and cost). You want something reliable but the costs of replacing, say, dura-ace bits is really unpleasant (to me at least).

I spent £800 on my bike 5 years ago. I added a couple of hundred on guards/rack/dyno lighting system. Since then I have done about 20000 miles on it and have replaced roughly:
    3 wheels
    one chain set
    one rear mech
    one mech hanger
    about 7 tyres
    6 chains
    4 cassettes
    3 sets of chain rings
    one front light
    6 sets of brake pads
    3 sets of bar tape
    and to be honest the rack and saddle are pretty much shot by now
    I'm pretty sure that at 105 prices that cost more than I spent on the bike.
    Don't get me wrong, its still been great value for money but the costs do mount up.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Kurako wrote:
    The one thing to think about getting a super flash bike is where will you keep it when you're not at work. I wouldn't take my (not even all that flash) carbon roadie to work for ages cos I had to park it outside at Canary Wharf. I was always worried about it getting bashed up by some fool with a BSO. Now I am loads luckier as my firm has an underground parking spot with a bike cage. I am still slightly paranoid about parking it near to crappy BSOs in case it gets bashed up. As for stopping off at the supermarket on the way home. Forget about it!

Ass DDD points out, £1000 won't get you anywhere near the spec it used to 4 or 5 years ago, however I would still not pay £1k for a commuter unless I had something like a secure underground parking spot for it at work, and even if I did I wouldn't because I often bike from work to meet people dahn the pub and have to leave the bike locked to a railing or lampost or something. Wouldn't want a bike that I couldn't leave out in the open without it getting nicked...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Bearing in mind what I said earlier if I was making the choice now I'd probably do it differently. For daily commuting I'd go for something decent but not top end spec. Something in the 600-700 range like a Giant Defy. You can always upgrade parts as they wear out which so you end up with a 'better' bike and it helps you spread the cost.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    You can get full carbon & 105 for 1k still, its not so bad at that price point. See Wiggle for more details... :twisted:
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    itboffin wrote:
    Er what G66 giving actual good advice with no hint of sarcasm .... i'm scared

Except... I've read it twice and just about made sense of it. Bear in mind that my practical bike knowledge other than riding one is confined to cleaning/lubing my chain, changing an inner tube over and adjusting the brakes occasionally.

And alarmingly... I do have tassles. Someone gave me pink sparkly ones in the work Secret Santa last year and even more worryingly occasionally asks if I've put them on my bike yet. I'd quite like a blue bike... or a lurid purple one... just not if it's crap otherwise.

Um...nrdu... I get what you're saying and since I don't have a car, I use my bike a fair bit but hey, I can keep the hybrid for that (if I figure out some decent storage solution). But I'm not sure that bike would be much fun on the hills in South East London...

Hey cafewanda... yup.. I think I know that I can find a road bike comfortable.. now just to decide which one.

Kurako - i take your point about the 6-700 mark which is where I started looking but when test riding, I've found the integrated shifter/brakes infinitely more comfortable than the thumb shifter version... which immediately puts me up to Tiagra shifters and bumps the cost up.

And iPete... yes... but sadly not in women's frames and the top tube on the smallest men's one in that model is still too long for my titchiness.
  • EKE_38BPM
    ...too long for my titchiness.

Another half-pint.
    My neice is 5'11" and still growing. A lot of the women in my family are around the six foot mark and almost all of the men are 6'2"+
    Easy to spot us in a crowd but not so easy for us to by clothing or bikes.

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    My fixed commuter cost about £1300, so why not. You spend alot of time on it.

The other 3 bikes are locked away till weekends.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Non-cyclists often see bikes as little more than toys and spending ~£1000 is beyond most people's comprehension, but we know that bikes are more than toys. They are a form of transport, a hobby, a lifestyle choice, a toy, a dream purchase etc

Its your money, spend it how you wish.

I'm sure they wouldn't bat an eyelid if you said your travel-card cost £20 a week.

and even a tool to save a life with :D

get a bike you will enjoy, no one else matters in this
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    I've had some friends tell me that I'm off my head to spend a grand on a road bike

Clearly time for new friends...
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    iPete wrote:
    You can get full carbon & 105 for 1k still, its not so bad at that price point. See Wiggle for more details... :twisted:

Back in 07 or 08 you could get a Focus Cayo in carbon with full Ultegra for about £1k....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:

Back in 07 or 08 you could get a Focus Cayo in carbon with full Ultegra for about £1k....

I got my Penny Farthing with Dura Ace for less than that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Cafewanda
    [quote="ApplespiderAnd alarmingly... I do have tassles. Someone gave me pink sparkly ones in the work Secret Santa last year and even more worryingly occasionally asks if I've put them on my bike yet. [/quote]

This made me smile. You should use them, just once at least, during the summer :D

I have spokeydokes on my hybrid. Adds a bit of colour and makes me smile when other cyclists clock them :D
  • I spend most of my time commuting, so after various so so bikes went out and brought a CAAD9. Was worried about it getting nicked, so added some stickers to conceal its identity. Also got OCD about keeping things looking good, not great using a pricey bike for a commute, so I brought some helicopter tape to protector the frame. The bike has been ridden for 2 years, looks mint still, just needed new tyres/cassette and chain and I look forward to everyday i ride it, and that comes above cost.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I'd quite like a blue bike... or a lurid purple one... just not if it's crap otherwise.

No blue or purple bike but I did pick up a used Trek 2.1WSD on eBay in red/white for about half of what a new similarly spec'd one would be - so I won't feel as worried about using it for commuting. It's 3 years old but aside from a small chip in top tube and the tape being dirty, it's in really good nick. I've upped the saddle, cleaned and lubed the chain/cassette, pumped up the tyres and just need to get another pair of clipless pedals and hope for some good weather this weekend to take it for a spin.

@Cafewanda - I saw a girl with tassles on her bike when going through Brixton tonight. Made me smile :D [/img]
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    A grand really isn't a lot in the scheme of things. It's not a grand over a year, it's a grand over potentially several years and it will still have a value to sell on then. OK say 4 years, and you get £200 back. It's cost you £200 per year or approx £1 per day, plus any repair and servicing costs. So all in call it £2 per day. That's a coffee, or 7 fags, or 1/2 pint. Not to mention the money saved on trains.

That £1k is probably as good an investment as you will ever make and that's before you include any enjoyment you have using it, the fitness you get from it etc etc

Go for it, but keep your old bike for when you need to leave it in an unsafe place, or when the weather is shite.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    My bike was £1500 but its the first brand new bike I've ever owned - I always had 2nd hand before - and I love it more than I love my own child.

Commuter though - steel surely?
  • Cafewanda

No blue or purple bike but I did pick up a used Trek 2.1WSD on eBay in red/white for about half of what a new similarly spec'd one would be - so I won't feel as worried about using it for commuting. It's 3 years old but aside from a small chip in top tube and the tape being dirty, it's in really good nick. I've upped the saddle, cleaned and lubed the chain/cassette, pumped up the tyres and just need to get another pair of clipless pedals and hope for some good weather this weekend to take it for a spin.

@Cafewanda - I saw a girl with tassles on her bike when going through Brixton tonight. Made me smile :D[/quote

Congrats on the new acquisition. I was looking at one of them (the really really titch one) to add to my collection when our C2W kicks in later in the year.

Re the tassels - you've got to use them at least once :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If she asks about the tassels again just say 'Yes, I'm actually wearing them now and they feel great' and walk off.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    edited July 2011
    I think its really clever when the tassles rotate in opposite directions at the same time.

Can you do that CW?

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Godders1 wrote:
    £insurance, MOT etc. is probably going to make a one off payment of £1,000 (with what £30-£50 per year running costs?) seem like pretty good value.

I'm doing around this sort of mileage (and then some), to date this years maintenance; both bike and clothes is £350 so £30 - £50 is very light.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Manged to build a Canyon Ultimate AL with SRAM Rival, ksyrium equipes and FSA finishing kit for just under a £1k for my training\summer commuter bike.

A lot a digging around for some parts on Ebay and Merlin Cycles coming up trumps with VIP discount.

Frameset was bought in the Canyon outlet section with nearly £380 off the original price.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I spent £900 on my Cotic Roadrat 18 months ago. Since then it has done 8,000 miles in all weather. I have bought these bits for it since

3 chains
    1 bottom bracket
    2 sets of bar tape
    2 pairs of brake blocks

I also got some Marathon Winter studded tyres so I could ride to work in the snow last winter. It normally runs Marathon Plus tyres, these are fine.