I need a new freewheel.

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Right, time for some recommendations. The POS Shimano freewheel on my Day One froze open one morning on my way to work. Yes, it was -14 degrees, yes, there was a foot of snow on the ground, I know this is relatively unusual weather, but it still meant I had to walk four miles through the snow in order to find a bike shop where I could buy a fixed cog to continue my journey.

Since thawing out, the freewheel has worked OK, but there's a grindyness and a ticking which won't go away. I just don't get on with fixed, it takes the joy out of the ride for me. I've tried slooshing it with lube, but no dice, after a bit of relative quiet, it's back. I've come to the conclusion that I need a new freewheel. Does anyone have any recommendations for one that will work well?

Cheese.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    White Industries. Buy the best and forget the rest.......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • You do make a lot of sense. However, the Day One only really gets used for snowy commutes and lightweight pootling, I am kind of hoping to get something a little cheaper which will still be reliable.

Here's hoping...
  • White Industries.
    Its rebuildable and all parts are available seperately.
    I replaced the Big bearing in mine after about 6 months use. But normally I would be just replacing the whole freewheel in that time. Plus it picks up so much quicker and feels solid.
  • Damn both of you. My finger just slipped on eBay and I have a White Industries 18T being shipped from the USA. GAH! :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    You know where you were going before you even started this thread. Don't worry, I don't mind being used as an excuse....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Really - Nothing else competes. You'll be dead happy the first time you go to pedal off on it
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    Have to agree - I tried shimano, dicta and some other far eastern brand before I bought my WI freewheel and would never go back

The WI is absolutely bombproof - mine has done over 12months service in every conceivable weather and has needed no fettling although I think I will get it serviced before the winter to be on the safe side (anyone know a place in london that will do it?)

One thing to note, you will need a WI-specific freewheel tool as a regular one will not engage properly and you can damage the WI which would not be a good start!!

Enjoy!