Biggest Bristol Bike Ride - Cancelled (yesterday)

deadlegs
deadlegs Posts: 56
Travelled to Bristol at the weekend, manned up & cycled to the start through the horrendous rain. Only to find all 3 routes had been cancelled... Gutted!

Apparently some idiot had crashed a lorry into some railings & done a bunk. Causing a road to be closed which all 3 routes passed through.

I'm sure the rain would have put off a few people but there were about 200 disappointed people at the start when I got there.

I took out my frustrations on the hills around Park St - not the same though :cry:
Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009

Comments

• Gooner69
    Gooner69 Posts: 97
    Actually, i drove down the Portway past the crashed van on the side of the road.
    The road was still fully open at that time (9.10am) and apart from it pissing down there was no problem. Was a little amused to see the bbc website reporting road closed till gone midday :roll:

I reckon that givern the weather nobody fancied it much and that van was all the excuse they needed.
  • deadlegs
    deadlegs Posts: 56
    I knew it! You'd think they could let the people who turned up have a go at their own risk.

I wouldnt have fancied marshalling though. I don't fancy their chances of getting it rescheduled.
    Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
    Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
    Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    edited June 2011
    We decided to do it at our own risk and as we cycled past at 9:30ish they were recovering a white van that had driven through the barricades down to the estuary. However it was all up on the pavement, and the road seemed clear of debris and fine to us. No-one seemed to have told the marshalls or the photographer on the Portway so we, and many others, just carried on.

We'd have done the whole thing but my mate had a tyre wall go and that was that... Mind you a very windy wet Avonmouth Bridge wasn't much fun.

I like the way that on the news they were saying they'd had to close it as it wasn't safe for 7000, 8000, riders to be on the Portway. Let's be honest, even if it had been dangerous, if you're lucky, there were 300 riders there!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My reading of the local paper webiste and BBC local website put the balme down to the van trying to go for a swim in the river. Why?, there was enough water on the road :lol: Said van had dumped diesel and glass on the road and left a lamppost hanging over the carriageway in a dangerous position. Like others who rode down the Portway there was no glass, no diesel and definitely no lamppost over the carriageway. If the carriageway was dangerous then the policecar in attendance would have coned the road off properly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.