Racing on new tyres

johnoakleyallen
johnoakleyallen Posts: 83
edited June 2011 in Amateur race
My new ultremo zx's look like they are going to turn up either race day or the day before. I know its not a great idea to race on brand new tyres but how much do they neew wearing in?

Comments

• My new ultremo zx's look like they are going to turn up either race day or the day before. I know its not a great idea to race on brand new tyres but how much do they neew wearing in?

I lay my tyres down in my old wine cellar for a couple of years. I find they then offer superb grip and longevity as soon as they are fitted rather than requiring a bedding in process on the bike.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    alternatively - if you don't have a wine cellar, just fit them and get on with it....
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    Ultra-expensive hand-made tubulars are reputed to benefit from being 'aged'. Mass-market clinchers are, AFAIK, not.
  • A good tip - get some glass paper and rub the tyres. That will get some grip
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I heard something about new track tubs needed a few laps at slow speed to get the coating off them before they have max grip. But never heard that road tyres need 'bedding in' or anything like that.

Strap them on and go.
  • Thick Tester
    Thick Tester Posts: 380
    Pokerface wrote:

Strap them on and go.

Ahem... Horses for courses and all that old bean ;)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Clinchers have this coating, look at Michelin tyres they have it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I put a set of vittoria Corsa evo road tyres on my wheels in the car park 45 minutes before a race and then got my best placing ever. Whack them on and ride 'em. :wink:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ageing tyre only works for those made from natural rubber due to the vulcanising process - the cross-linking of the polymer improves over time. Most tyres use synthetic elastomers and leaving them won't make any difference. When tyres ore moulded, the come out coated with a silicone release agent - you need to remove either through wear or slight abrasion. New tyres in the wet can be a bit hairy, hence advice to give them a light rub with sandpaper.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..