Tour de Vale - first 100Km ride!

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Did my first metric tonne yesterday, despite shocking weather - did the 55 mile Tour de Vale route, plus two detours - one planned, one unplanned ( :oops: - went the wrong way down a massive hill...and then back up again...) - so total more like 65 miles

Am a little tender today, knees tired, but feel immensely proud of myself, especially given the atrocious weather :shock:

Mind you, my time was hilariously bad...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    What was your previous highest distance?

I've never really pushed for distance before (furthest I've done is about 25 miles at a guess) which was quite comfortable, so the idea of doubling it doesn't seem too hard, but I've no doubt that's quite a naive notion!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I jumped from a regular 14 miles each way with the odd 30 miler to doing a 100K without much difficulty.

I've said it before - it's all about energy management once you get past a certain distance. If you can do 25 miles, then you can do 65. You just need to make sure you eat properly before hand and have adequate food and drink for the trip (or stop somewhere and have a snack)

It WILL highlight any set up issues with the bike (that slight nagging pain when you get off after 25 miles will hurt like hell after 65) so you do need to get the bike set correctly (my right knee was crippingly bad after my 1st 100K)

If you're not too far from me - I'm going to spend a Saturday soon cruising up to the High Peak trail again for my 100K route.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Congrats, I did my first 100Km (London 2 Brighton in awful weather) a couple of weeks ago, up from a 7 mile commute. Same result as you, bit tired but basically fine.

Booked a place on a coach back after the Dunwich Dynamo now. Bring on the Imperial ton and metric double :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    It WILL highlight any set up issues with the bike (that slight nagging pain when you get off after 25 miles will hurt like hell after 65) so you do need to get the bike set correctly (my right knee was crippingly bad after my 1st 100K)

If you're not too far from me - I'm going to spend a Saturday soon cruising up to the High Peak trail again for my 100K route.

Yes I can imagine, just had to swap my saddle for a Charge Spoon after the semi-regular commute demonstrated that my cheeks were simply not at home on OE saddle my Giant SCR came with.

To be fair you aren't too far from me, High Peak trail looks like a cracking way to do the 100k as well, but real life says I'll struggle to get a free weekend to do it sadly.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • secretsam
    What was your previous highest distance?

I've never really pushed for distance before (furthest I've done is about 25 miles at a guess) which was quite comfortable, so the idea of doubling it doesn't seem too hard, but I've no doubt that's quite a naive notion!

I'd done a 'split' 60 miler the weekend before (30 miles each way to my sis' place, with a mahoosive pasta lunch and a rest in between)

In one go it was about 54 miles, and I was f**ked at the end of that :lol:

I actually wasn't too bad after the ride on Sunday, tired but not exhausted - but when I wanted to hit the "tubro button" (eg hills, etc) it just wasn't working - a sure sign that it's time to get off

Imperial ton is the next goal!! Probably from my place in Aylesbury to chez Maman in sunny Bristol. Think I'll pass on the metric double ton, frankly that's just too damn far!!! :shock:

• mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    if you can 60 70 odd miles in one go then you can easily do 100 miles. Again its all about the pacing and the food/water intake. If you dont mind being out all days 120 is not too much more of a push.

Well done though :)
  • secretsam
    mkirby wrote:
    if you can 60 70 odd miles in one go then you can easily do 100 miles. Again its all about the pacing and the food/water intake. If you dont mind being out all days 120 is not too much more of a push.

Well done though :)

"Pacing" is hardly a problem, LOL the most I've ever averaged is 14mph over the whole ride (and that's actual riding time, ie excluding breaks)

Any slower and I'd lose my balance and fall off :lol: