Chainline help please

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2011 in The workshop
I'm looking at swapping my MTB based Hybrid chainset for a Stronglight 55S single speed specific, however I'm having difficulty working out the BB axle width I need.

I'm currently running 1x9 with a 47.5mm nominal (actually it's come out at about 50mm) chainline and want to keep this.

The Stronglight website has a tech doc for the 55S that recommends using a 122.5mm axle but for the chainline measurement it just says 'CL' (great!) and that is for a 'hub geared' rear which looking at http://www.cycledrive.com/Dimensions means even if that was right its still useless as their is a 5mm spread on 'hub gears', there is a seperate chainline doc on the stronglight website but that lists lots of useful information for just about every chainset EXCEPT the 55s!

I emailed Stronglight a week ago but no responce, so does anyone know what axle length I need for a 43.5mm CL or for that matter what CL it runs with a 122.5mm 'recommended' (recomended for what exactly :lol:) axle? Or should I find a supplier that isn't French? (recommnedations please - 170 or 175mm cranks and 46T for under £30 and under 500g!)

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• If I were you I'd try it out on your current bb. You can measure how wide it is, how far out the chainline is and then work out what axle length you need. Is a 9 speed chain compatible with a single speed chain ring though? I thought they were wider.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • The Rookie
    Thanks for that, hadn't considered it may be single speed chain only, yet more information missing from Stronglights own information - is is SS specific (1/8th chain) or can I use it 1x9 (3/32)!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    OK, had it confirmed its for 3/32's chain so ordered one and I'll check out the chainline on the 2 narrow (110 and 103mm) BB's I have to see what I need!

Simon
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Make sure that the freewheel you choose is also 3/32 if you are using a 3/32 chain. Note that you can happily run a 1/8 chain on a 3/32 chainset, but not a 3/32 chain on a 1/8.

On a separate note, having recently upgraded from a Shimano to a White Industries freewheel, £70 might seem like a lot but I have been very impressed with the WI and it has serviceable bearings.

Good luck with the chainline :D
  • The Rookie
    Ahem
    I'm currently running 1x9 with a 47.5mm nominal (actually it's come out at about 50mm) chainline and want to keep this.
    No freewheel!

Simon
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ah ha!