Wiggins pipes up a bit

bazbadger
bazbadger Posts: 553
edited June 2011 in Pro race
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/news/wiggins-earns-confidence-at-dauphine-questions-contadors-presence-at-tour_178279

"Sportwise, though, it’s not a good thing that a bloke who tested positive four times is in the race. It is also bad for those teams that are fighting to be clean, as in the case of my team, Sky.”
Mens agitat molem

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Meanwhile, somewhere in a bunker on the French/Swiss border...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    can anyone explain the "four times" bit to me?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

He tested positive on 4 consecutive days during the Tour, but since they were all the same stuff, and in declining amounts, it's counted as one positive.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

He tested positive on 4 consecutive days during the Tour, but since they were all the same stuff, and in declining amounts, it's counted as one positive.

I'd always wondered if I went through 3 speed cameras at 90, without slowing in between, if It'd count as one offense :D
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    PBo wrote:
    I'd always wondered if I went through 3 speed cameras at 90, without slowing in between, if It'd count as one offense :D

If that's a serious question, then no, it'd count as 3 separate offenses.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    PBo wrote:

It was a little silly - just using it as an analogy to the four +ves!

However, I agree with you anyway....
  • PBo wrote:
    PBo wrote:

It was a little silly - just using it as an analogy to the four +ves!

However, I agree with you anyway....

I think there was recently a case where it was judged that some speed cameras were too close together and multiple offenses were rolled into 1.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    This 'positive test' statement is a bit of a cop-out.
    There are plenty of riders who never tested positive, but are clearly guilty of wrongdoing.
  • BarryBonds
    BarryBonds Posts: 344
    Why is it i find wiggins very difficult to like
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    BarryBonds wrote:
    Because he is good and not boring in interviews? Would you prefer Jenson Button or Lewis HAmilton type responses? Give me Cav and Wiggo every time, oh and Ronnie O'Sullivan :D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    BarryBonds wrote:
    Because most posters on here do like him perhaps?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There are plenty of riders who never tested positive, but are clearly guilty of wrongdoing.

Why is it a cop-out? AC tested positive. The fact the people beat the tests doesn't change that.

Just because most burglars don't caught, it doesn't follow that the one caught in the act is innocent.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    BarryBonds wrote:

Maybe it`s because he wears winklepicker shoes and silly black socks ? apart from that i dont think he`s a bad bloke. His Interview`s are like the Robert Millar one`s of old.....awkward and it was as if he`s looking for a fight if the interviewer asks a daft question :D
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    At least with Wiggins you know you're not always going to get a stock answer. If he's pushed that 'media-filter' sometimes gets by-passed. :D All the better I say and at least his Dauphine form should at least help guarantee some decent telly in July.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    bompington wrote:
    BarryBonds wrote:
    Because most posters on here do like him perhaps?

+1

Trendy to Wiggo bash...
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Try comparing an interview with someone like Wiggins to any member of the England cricket team. They all just repeat a subset of the same stock answers, so essentially the interviews are pointless. At least with Wiggins there is a chance that he will say something interesting, even if he can come across as a bit of an idiot sometimes (often when he is trying to be funny).
  • pedro118118
    RichN95 wrote:

Why is it a cop-out? AC tested positive. The fact the people beat the tests doesn't change that.

Just because most burglars don't caught, it doesn't follow that the one caught in the act is innocent.

He is intimating that Bertie's a cheat without actually saying it. Although he seems happy to hero-worship other riders, who have cheated, but never tested positive. A consistent message is required.

That said, I like Wiggo and find his interviews way more interesting than the average rider/sportsman. Likewise, Cav.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    BarryBonds wrote:

Probably because he is boring... and English
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    RichN95 wrote:

He is intimating that Bertie's a cheat without actually saying it. Although he seems happy to hero-worship other riders, who have cheated, but never tested positive. A consistent message is required.

That said, I like Wiggo and find his interviews way more interesting than the average rider/sportsman. Likewise, Cav.

Yes, he has kind of half nailed his colours to the mast.

How many other riders have openly expressed concern / dismay about the Contador issue? Even if the whole peloton were up in arms about it, I can't imagine the wheels turning any faster in the CAS dept.

I'd like to see Wiggins do well - just to see if he really can do it.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    BarryBonds wrote:

Probably because he is boring... and English

Quite the little Irish chip on your shoulder recently!
  • pedro118118
    bazbadger wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Yes, he has kind of half nailed his colours to the mast.

How many other riders have openly expressed concern / dismay about the Contador issue? Even if the whole peloton were up in arms about it, I can't imagine the wheels turning any faster in the CAS dept.

I'd like to see Wiggins do well - just to see if he really can do it.

A few riders have moaned about the length of time the case has taken to be resolved. Then again, it's an ongoing investigation, so they've probably been told to keep quiet until the whole sorry debacle has run its course?! Seem to recall the likes of Cadel and Thor being baffled at the length of time it's taken to get nowhere!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Hmm, the time taken with the Contador case is the most baffling damaging and...inexplicable... thing about the whole debacle really is nt it?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    PBo wrote:

Poor analogy, it would be more akin to checking you speeding at the same place by four different cameras. :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Poor analogy, it would be more akin to checking you speeding at the same place by four different cameras. :wink:

Not really, if you're speed doesn't drop back below the speed limit and the limit doesn't change, I'd argure there was only one offence.

Same as if for different loads of cops came as you were trying to ron a bank. That's what happened to me anyway :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    Depends on whether they were average speed cameras.
  • Ron Stuart
    prawny wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    PBo wrote:

Not really, if you're speed doesn't drop back below the speed limit and the limit doesn't change, I'd argure there was only one offence.

Same as if for different loads of cops came as you were trying to ron a bank. That's what happened to me anyway :?

Priceless :lol:
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    PBo wrote:

I was watching either ‘Schneller als die Polizei erlaubt’ or ‘Achtung Kontrolle!’ a few years back and they were following a motorcyclist who broke the speed limit, slowed back down to below the speed limit to turn at a junction and then broke the speed limit again. Because he had slowed down, they classed it as two separate offences and had his licence away (he already had previous driving offences).

It doesn’t matter if you shoot someone once or ten times, there’s still only one act of murder or as prawny says, if you get caught by more than one police officer after committing a crime, there’s still only one offence so I reckon it could be argued that if you didn’t slow down between the cameras then you’ve only committed one offence.
  • Ron Stuart
    So how many offenses do we think Contador has allegedly committed then? To get back to the thread like.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just the one. One long continuous career of le dopage!
  • keef_zip
    keef_zip Posts: 295
    schweiz wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    PBo wrote:

I was watching either ‘Schneller als die Polizei erlaubt’ or ‘Achtung Kontrolle!’ a few years back and they were following a motorcyclist who broke the speed limit, slowed back down to below the speed limit to turn at a junction and then broke the speed limit again. Because he had slowed down, they classed it as two separate offences and had his licence away (he already had previous driving offences).

It doesn’t matter if you shoot someone once or ten times, there’s still only one act of murder or as prawny says, if you get caught by more than one police officer after committing a crime, there’s still only one offence so I reckon it could be argued that if you didn’t slow down between the cameras then you’ve only committed one offence.

Re: speeding fines, they treat multiple 'tripped' cameras as one offence if it was an unbroken journey.