Cyclist down - Barnes

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
Rider down this morning at the junction of Castlenau and Lonsdale Road. They were loading him into the ambulance when I went past at 8.30. He wasn't moving and was on oxygen. Quite a bit of blood on the road, but that always looks worse than it is.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    hope he is ok! not good for a monday morning - still very wet on the roads and there was quite a bit of oil in places...
  • richVSrich
    hope he is ok! not good for a monday morning - still very wet on the roads and there was quite a bit of oil in places...
  • asprilla
    richVSrich wrote:

There was definitely another vehicle involved. There was a blue car stopped in the junction as if it was coming southbound and turning right. The cyclist and the blood were in the north bound lane, but north of the car.

I can only assume he's gone over the right turning car's bonnet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • richVSrich
    had a look at the junction on google...its a pretty big junction..with a yellow box...hard to speculate what happened..

was there much other traffic? possibly a car had stopped before the yellow box, the blue car was turning into castlenau and the bike didnt see it?

take care everyone!
  • asprilla
    richVSrich wrote:
    had a look at the junction on google...its a pretty big junction..with a yellow box...hard to speculate what happened..

was there much other traffic? possibly a car had stopped before the yellow box, the blue car was turning into castlenau and the bike didnt see it?

take care everyone!

It's light controlled for the right turn coming south, you can't turn until the north bound lane is on red.

Edit - Actually, I take that back. I'm not 100% sure it is.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Polkascott
    Polkascott Posts: 34
    You can turn right southbound while northbound is on green.

Cars will sometimes try to turn before northbound traffic gets away at this point. Pure speculation of course.

Hope the cyclist is ok...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Any idea of what bike was involved? I know a few people tha ride that way, myself included.

I usually see that junction as being fairly 'safe', most people negotiate it fairly slowly due to the lights and heavy traffic, especially at that time of the morning. I guess you can never legislate against mistakes and idiocy though.

Hope the guy is okay :(
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • asprilla
    I think the bike was yellow, not sure though. Chap may also have had a beard.

I wasn't really paying much attention, not a fan of rubber-necking. Dismounted and walked across the junction as it was blocked to traffic my police and ambulance..
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3