Rear Shock settings RP23

Zziplex
Zziplex Posts: 190
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Erm, not sure how to explain the problem I'm having with my RP23....

In the open position at pos 3, the rebound feels very bouncy after a hit, almost as if it's not rebounding fast enough despite me having tried rebound at it's fastest.

With my gear I weigh about 100Kg :lol:

Does it need tuning to match my weight, or are there other settings I should fiddle with first?
Guinness for strength

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't the rebound adjustment separate to propedal?
    And iff it's 'too bouncy' you need to slow the rebound down, not have it on the lowest (fastest rebound) setting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Reading that again, 'too bouncy' and 'not rebounding fast enough' doesn't make sense.
    Is that what you mean?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Zziplex
    Imagine a graph, after a hit in the open position, the amplitude decays slowly, this gives a bouncy sensation when seated. I'd like the amplitude to decay much faster.
    Guinness for strength
  • cooldad
    You sure you have rebound set fast (ie low damping setting)?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so you want a slower extension.

what are you putting to position 3?

have you downloaded the manual?

what bike is it on?

did it come on that bike or is it an after market add on?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Cooldad is correct pos 1,2 & 3 are the propedal positions. With the valve in the open position (clicked to the left on a spring oriented top to bottom) It doesn't matter what PP position is set as it is effectively switched off. I suspect with PP on (switch to the right) the PP is adding some dampening. I would set the rebound to middle with the valve open and then set the damping correctly. You can then tune it for your normal PP position if necessary.
  • cooldad
    I suspect there may be some confusion over max damping setting and what it does.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ro88o
    Ro88o Posts: 130
    Definately confusion with Pro-pedal and rebound :roll:
    Rebound is the red dial and only works with shock fully open.
    Propedal is blue switch with 3 settings.

Try altering red rebound dial for faster / slower amplitude :)
    You only get one shot .........so make it a double !
    Santa Cruz Heckler 650b
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0880/1177 ... 4113728080
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Ro88o wrote:

Wrong.
  • Zziplex
    Ro88o wrote:
    definitely confusion with Pro-pedal and rebound :roll:
    Propedal is blue switch with 3 settings.

Try altering red rebound dial for faster / slower amplitude :)

No confusion at all.

The red rebound dial is at it's fastest, but the ride feels bouncy when pro-pedal is off.
    Almost as if it's not returning fast enough (this may be wrong, hence the question).

'Pro pedal on' seems to reduce some of the 'bouncyness' after a hit, but I presume I'm then missing some of the hit taking ability of the shock??

So, due to the 100Kg rider & kit weight, is it a case of the rebound not being fast enough from factory??? Bike is a GT Force ~ a bob friendly sus design). Will a custom valve/tune solve the problem?
    Guinness for strength
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Zziplex wrote:

The red rebound dial is at it's fastest, but the ride feels bouncy when pro-pedal is off.

so low it down then.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Just to be clear, are you talking about it's fastest (lowest) or slowest (highest) setting.
    High damping setting will make for slow return.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • diy
    edited June 2011
    Zziplex RTFM mate its in my post above ;)

Adjusting Rebound

Rebound controls the rate at which your shock returns after it has been compressed. The proper rebound setting is a personal preference, and changes with rider weight, riding style and conditions. A rule of thumb is that rebound should be as fast as possible without kicking back and pushing the rider off the saddle.

The rebound knob has 8-10 clicks of adjustment.

For slower rebound, turn the red adjuster knob clockwise.
    For faster rebound, turn the red adjuster knob counterclockwise.

Yours sounds like it is too fast and you need to turn the adjuster clockwise to increase dampening. As Nick says slow it down.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Zziplex wrote:
    Almost as if it's not returning fast enough (this may be wrong, hence the question).

'Pro pedal on' seems to reduce some of the 'bouncyness' after a hit, but I presume I'm then missing some of the hit taking ability of the shock??

If it's at its fastest, then it SHOULD feel bouncy with pro-pedal off.

If it doesn't feel like its returning fast enough, then how does that make it feel bouncy? Surely that would make it feel sluggish.

So with propedal ON it feels like it rebounds faster or slower?

Your terminology is confusing. Full rebound damping makes it slower, no rebound damping makes it faster (faster rebound is generall thought of as "bouncy" because it feels like it wants to bounce you off the bike).
  • Zziplex
    I'll take it to a repeatable section and try 'slower/faster' settings as advised.

Thanks for your help. 8)
    Guinness for strength
  • diy
    Forget the pro-pedal set the rebound to perform as you want with the valve open and then use PP to control bob.
  • Johnny Napalm
    Johnny Napalm Posts: 1,458
    Isn't this meant to be a good starting point?
    A simple way to approximate the correct setting is to ride off a kerb with all your weight on the saddle - the bike should bounce back once, but not carry on bouncing. Once you've found the right setting you can adjust it one or two clicks either side depending on the situation. Slower rebound for fast and rocky, faster rebound for cruising on mellower terrain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Isn't this meant to be a good starting point?
    A simple way to approximate the correct setting is to ride off a kerb with all your weight on the saddle - the bike should bounce back once, but not carry on bouncing. Once you've found the right setting you can adjust it one or two clicks either side depending on the situation. Slower rebound for fast and rocky, faster rebound for cruising on mellower terrain.
    Yeah, but don't follow it religiously. Use whatever works using whatever method it takes to come to it.
  • Zziplex
    I'll report back once I've had a fiddle, and played with the bike settings. 8)
    Guinness for strength