Adding distance to your ride

nwallace
nwallace Posts: 1,465
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
First 100km I did this year I clocked 2km short at the top of my road, so off to clock that up (and nearly decked it in the process)

Today, got to the road end at 159.5km. So went off and added a rather knackered 2.9km
Yes I said 2.9km, not the 1.5km I needed. So gubbed I couldn't do the maths.

Anyone else do this?
Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I never look at the distance covered on a ride until I get off the bike, which can lead to Oh f*ck if only I'd gone 'round the block moments. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    nwallace wrote:
    Anyone else do this?

Yes. Reaching a number might not add much training wise, but it can be a good psychological boost to carry over into the next ride. It seems fair enough to me, non?

Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I have done it in the past, but eventually decided that it was a waste of time. I've done plenty of century rides, so if I've done 80 hilly miles and then ridden 18.5 easy miles home, what's the point of riding round the block to clock up another easy 1.5 miles? I know I can do it so it isn't really proving anything.

I think it is good psychological training to not do the extra distance - it stops you getting obsessed by numbers and lets you enjoy the actual riding more.

However, If I'd set out to do 100 miles but got back having only done 80 because I'd accidentally taken a shortcut somewhere, I'd probably refill my bottle and go out and do an extra 20. That really would take an effort and would be worth doing.