Grease

mattyg2004
mattyg2004 Posts: 196
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I Went to my LBS to get some grease and they were about to give me some park stuff. I asked if they had the red stuff that they used on my service. ( Seat post ) They said that stuff is in a big tub and they dont sell it. (Meh) Just before I paid I said this stuff is ok for carbon frames. Which he then said no you need special grease just for carbon.

Ok so what grease did they use on my seatpost and will it void my warranty if any probs occur.

Main question
Do I actually need special carbon grease for my seatpost. I dropped the post for some DH and the damn thing was a struggle to get back up.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to see what the manufacturer of the said carbon parts say. There is no fixed rule.
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    so your seatpost is carbon? if so then you need carbon assembly paste.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it depends on the make and what they say

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12534958

personally I would not worry to much.

Carbon assembly past has bits in it to allow a lower clamping force.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mattyg2004
    No

Carbon frame Alu seatpost Std scott spark 30

Its just so I can move it up and down with relative ease.

As soon as some decent adj seatposts get made itll get swapped. If any fit a 34.9 hole
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I may be in a minority here, but don't like greasing seatposts. Just move it regularly and it won't seize up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    cooldad wrote:
    I may be in a minority here, but don't like greasing seatposts. Just move it regularly and it won't seize up.

I dont like greasing them either it attracts grit like a magnet. Pull it out regulary and clean everthing with GT85 or similar wipe it off and put post back.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mattyg2004
    stubs wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I dont like greasing them either it attracts grit like a magnet. Pull it out regulary and clean everthing with GT85 or similar wipe it off and put post back.

Sounds Like a plan.