Just back from Wales

Mccraque
Mccraque Posts: 819
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Weekend in Afan - although in Brechfa on Friday. Still think Whites Level is my favourite trail of them all. Love the climb and the descents. Managed 31 mins up yesterday. And oddly saw a gentleman walking up The Wall's final descent in his pants. wtf??

Brechfa was a bit wet on Friday - had a couple of offs but great fun all round!

Where's everyone else been riding?

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    really, whites is your favourite? :? ah well, horses for courses :lol:

a man in his pants you say? that is strange even for the valleys :lol:

glad you had a good time though mate 8)
  • Mccraque
    I think it is my favourite....well...the energy section and the last bit are both great. But I do like the Wall too. Brechfa was my first time....so learning it and belting down with rain probably didn't give me quite as favourable impression as on a sunny afternoon..
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    Hi Mate,

We are planning a couple of days in Afan in August for some biking. Where did you stay? We are planning on staying at Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre and camping. Is there 2 days of trails to do?

Thanks Lee
  • welshkev
    yeah the energy section is good.

but the weather certainly has sucked this weekend :(
  • Mccraque
    yeah the weather did suck! Although yesterday pm was reasonably nice...

We stayed in Cymmer. There's loads of B&B's around there - Bryn Teg House and Afan Lodge to name a couple. Camping is right at the centre....although looked a little damp when we stopped to get lunch!
  • welshkev
    Hi Mate,

We are planning a couple of days in Afan in August for some biking. Where did you stay? We are planning on staying at Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre and camping. Is there 2 days of trails to do?

Thanks Lee

it depends on how fit you are, i'd say skline on the first day and w2 on the second should keep you entertained for 2 days, and if you want more stop at cwmcarn on the way home:

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/c ... _park.aspx

(ignore the bit about penhydd trail, it's closed :D )
  • divingmoose
    divingmoose Posts: 540
    Sounds like well worth the trip, hoping even wales can be dry in august.
  • welshkev
    Sounds like well worth the trip, hoping even wales can be dry in august.

i wouldn't like to put a bet on it :lol:
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    welshkev wrote:

YES KEV WHITES IS THE BEST
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

YES KEV WHITES IS THE BEST

you do seem rather adamant, perhaps i should give it another chance? :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nah it's crap kev's right he he, glad you enjoyed it mind
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    I was in Afan last August and the lady at the campsite said it was the heaviest rain she'd ever seen. Pretty basic campsite at the top of a hill a few miles away from the centre. Really cheap. It was fine though, still had a fun day out, a bit like being in BC on a bad day. Did W2.
    The campsite at the bottom of Whites is pretty good and you can hang out in the cafe after your ride.
    Need to get back there soon. I heard Skyline closes in the fall.
    Many happy trails!
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Mccraque wrote:

Brechfa was a bit wet on Friday - had a couple of offs but great fun all round!

Where's everyone else been riding?
    Brechfa is my local haunt which trail did you ride ?
    my favourite is Gorlech especially the last decent which i generally climb back up the road around it and do it again :D
    as for the man in pants thats a sight not to be repeated . :lol:
  • Mccraque
    We rode Gorlech - got bitten to shit by midges at the top of the first climb while waiting for mates. They still itch today.

If only the rain had held off for that last descent....it looked so much fun...but I was steamed up at the lens and had little grip.....a few of us stacked it to be honest...some of the mudman sights at the bottom were quite funny!

Initially we arrived at the Raven Trail - assuming that was the carpark for all the routes...but then realised the error. Is Raven any good (for next time)??
  • paul20v
    paul20v Posts: 267
    Mccraque wrote:

Initially we arrived at the Raven Trail - assuming that was the carpark for all the routes...but then realised the error. Is Raven any good (for next time)??
    Hi
    the raven is ok its more up and down so too speak it has some good bits but as a whole doesnt give me the satisfaction the gorlech does
    but in saying that its well worth a ride and maybe more for you
    were not all the same and if riden im sure you wont be dissapointed :)