Front drive

rogerv78
rogerv78 Posts: 61
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, guys I have a carrera kraken that I bought from halfords about 8 years ago, it has served me well over the years and have recently used it for a triathlon, in the absence of a proper road bike ! (which I am saving up for )

Anyway back on subject I am giving it a bit of a service and I want to replace the front crank set and the one I have at the moment is 22/32/44 teeth, what can I change it for ? does it need to be the same amount of teeth and if not do I need to do anything with the chain or front derailer ?

I have been looking on ebay and there seems to be a lot of bargains but also a lot of choice ??!!

Any advice is very welcome, many thanks, Roger. :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Needs to fit your BB unless you are changing that. Need to keep similar chainline as well.
    Can change no of teeth, but bigger rings may hit the chainstay.
    You may need to change mech(s) depending on what is on there and what you put on.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rogerv78
    rogerv78 Posts: 61
    Thanks for the reply, yeah want to keep it the same as my existing BB as its a semi intergrated one which is the square tapered version, just wanted to make sure if I get something with a few extra teeth its not going to cause me some major aggro as the crank set I have now are the stock version and are a bit naff, just want to do a bit of upgrading !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well it MAY foul the chain stays. and the front mech will need moving are redetting.

But it has to be correct for the axle length that you have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown