PC help/advice please.

Aggieboy
Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Firstly, you need to understand I'm a technophobe :wink: .

I haven't changed/added anything to my PC (Windows Vista), but suddenly it will only open and connect to the internet in 'Safe mode with networking'.

I have run two types of Spyware and found nothing.

Any simple advice gratefully accepted.
"There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    press f8 as i boots up and see what choices it gives you
  • ceeque
    ceeque Posts: 52
    sounds like some sort of system file errors ... something has disagreed with the windows system files, maybe the last item you added to the computer? No error messages showing at all? Bloody hard work getting to the bottom of Vista errors I know that!
  • Aggieboy
    Haven't added anything for ages. Just started happening y'day evening. When I turned it off in frustration and turn it back on I ignored starting up Windows normally and went for Safe mode + networking. Pure fluke, didn't have a clue what it meant :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • jablunt
    jablunt Posts: 9
    Your pc is sending you a coded message....get a mac...get a mac...get a mac...
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Turn it off and on again ?
    :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Aggieboy
    Update!!!!! I've just let it run, rather than turning off in frustration after clicking to connect to t'internet. Basically, it; took about 5 mins to connect, but does so immediately in 'Safe mode + networking'.
  • Aggieboy
    MattC59 wrote:
    Turn it off and on again ?
    :wink:

Been doing that all day :cry::lol: Maybe I've got 'Filly overload' :lol:
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Yeah, try System Restore

start -> help, search for System Restore. In 'What is System Restore' click on 'Click to open System Restore'

Mine has a recommended one from a couple of days ago plus older ones going back every other day or so.

Give it a try, tell us what happens.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Maybe I've got 'Filly overload' :lol:

I've seen your 'work'. You must visit some ...errr... cosmopolitan websites. :roll:
  • +1

Aggieboy,

Without a doubt, it must be those 'dodgy' websites you browse looking for all your 'Girls in Lycra shorts' images :oops:
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    It could be any number of issues, without looking in your 'for my eyes only' pictures folder its hard to say.

what browser are you using. I had a similar problem with firefox.

For some reason it was firing up 2 processes, that is to say it was opening up FF twice with a single click and causing FF to crash before it had even got displaying and windows.

Try hitting control/alt/delete and have a look at the task manager and see if 2 Firefox exe (or whatever browser you are using) files are running or not.

if so just stop one of them.

Its also handy in the task manager to see if there is anything eating up your cpu usage such as a virus.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    System restore is your friend. Roll your pc back a day or two & it should work. Otherwise a couple of free app to have a fiddle with.

Malwarebytes: it will spot spyware & little malign apps that can sneak under the AV & firewall. Those fake AV progs etc. Do a full sweep (overnight job) and see if that fixes it.

CCcleaner: sorts out registry hiccups & optimises your under the bonnet stuff.

Good idea to have em and run em regularly anyway, but try system restore first with yr immediate problem

FileHippo is a good site for plenty of free apps inc these two
  • Aggieboy
    Firstly, thanks to everyone for your replies.

This morning it's working normally. :P I didn't do anything as I was going to wait until this morning to try and sort it out.

I had tried CCcleaner before posting on here. I'll run Malwarebytes as well now, just to be on the safe side.

Bill Gates.