Saddle Advice - numb nether regions

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Just completed my first 100K sportive yesterday. Am well stricken in years so it took me over 5hrs.
Did not feel too bad in the "bottom area" until I got home and decided to have a pee. At that point I found that "percy" was completely numb and would not perfom for some reason. After a couple of hours things did improve and normal service was resumed.

I am now considering what to do if I plan any more long rides. One problem is that I don't stand on the pedals when climbing so my 5hrs was spent on the saddle.

Need to consider swapping fron my Selle Rolls San Marco which has been fine on shorter rides.

Any suggestions to avert the numb percy problem

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You need one with a cut out. Specialized Body Geometry or Selle Italia Trans Am range. Other makes have them as well
    M.Rushton
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    mrushton wrote:
    You need one with a cut out. Specialized Body Geometry or Selle Italia Trans Am range. Other makes have them as well

WHS^^^^

I have Selle Italia SLCs on both my bikes. No problems with numb bits any more. :D
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    As above, you might also need to point the nose down slightly.

I have an Adamo on my TT bike to solve this very problem, you only time I get a seriously numb winky is in the aero position.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I've gone round the houses a bit looking for the right saddle and I've returned to Specialized - I had a Toupe a year or so ago which I only changed because it was broken in an accident. I have just bought a Romin which I can't comment on yet but the Toupe was great.
    If you aren't used to long rides, I would suggest you make a conscious effort to regularly stand up out of the saddle to encourage relief of any pressure which may affect blood circulation in the nether regions.
    Peter
  • brabus
    brabus Posts: 138
    exactly the same thing happened to me after doing 50 miles on a new saddle...except it took about three days for the sensation to come back!! :oops:

i fitted a new selle italia team thoork carbon rails saddle to my bike and the pain was unbelievable! :cry:

tried everything dropping the height, dropping the nose, moving it back and forth etc!

did over a 100miles on it hoping it would break in but ended up taking it off! cost me a bloomin fortune too!!

now put on my old prologo choice ti and everything seems fine...except it weighs 100grams more and that is obviously whats slowing me down he he! :lol:
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Definitely a saddle with a cut out is required. So far i have found Specialized Romin to be the best but are hard on the sit bones. Bruised sit bones are better than bits that no longer function. I have an almost new San Marco Mantra for sale if you are interested, see it in the road classifieds.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Ho Guys

Thanks for the advice.
    Am considering one of the Spesh BG range (Romin, Toupe etc) but really want to get an accurate sit bone measurement so that I can specify the right width of saddle.

Looking on the Specialized site, the nearest BG outlet is their concept store in Birmingham. Being based near Loughborough, I'm not sure I want to trek all the way there just for a sit bone test.

Does anyone out there know of a bike shop that has a sit bone measuring kit in house nearer to my home area (Nottingham, Leicester, Derby triangle)
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    northpole wrote:
    I've gone round the houses a bit looking for the right saddle and I've returned to Specialized - I had a Toupe a year or so ago which I only changed because it was broken in an accident. I have just bought a Romin which I can't comment on yet but the Toupe was great.

Similar tale here - sold a Toupe with a bike and experimented with a few other makes and models. The Fizik Arione was awesome for the sit bones, but gave me the same numb parts. I then tried the Arione Versus - the grooved model. Great, solved the numb bits instantly, but was then really uncomfortable on the sit bones.

Finally gone back to a Toupe and found happiness once again! It's worth going into a Specialized dealer and getting measured for a BG saddle - I was surprised to need just a 130mm width. The Toupe has a better range than ever too, with gel now being the cheaper version.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    arlowood wrote:
    Ho Guys

Thanks for the advice.
    Am considering one of the Spesh BG range (Romin, Toupe etc) but really want to get an accurate sit bone measurement so that I can specify the right width of saddle.

Looking on the Specialized site, the nearest BG outlet is their concept store in Birmingham. Being based near Loughborough, I'm not sure I want to trek all the way there just for a sit bone test.

Does anyone out there know of a bike shop that has a sit bone measuring kit in house nearer to my home area (Nottingham, Leicester, Derby triangle)

Sorry - should have read your last post more carefully! Get yourself to Websters Cycles at their new Specialized store in Wigston, Leicestershire. Much better than the old shop on London Road, Leicester, some proper bling in there now! They have the 'ass-ometer' measuring pad. Just try and get one of the senior guys to assist you, the young 'un who initially helped me was very enthusiastic and polite, but not trained in any way to use it.