New and lost

TheGav
TheGav Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi I'm Gav
I have an unhealthy obsession with cars and run bmwownersclub.com

I decided I need a break from the engine side of things for a while and chose bikes.

I have just brought a GT IDrive 6 frame and most parts for it.
Most of the parts that came with it are cheap/nasty ones.

So im looking into replacing everything bit by bit, im also goint to get the whole bike powder coated when its complete.

Im going to start with new front shocks, brakes, head set and bars, and all of the gearing mech.

Any advice on what sort of parts I should be buying would be great.

I am working on a slight budget too.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's 'slight'. You are already looking at around £6-700 minimum. More if you need shock, wheels etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TheGav
    Lol, wasnt thinking that much.
    Yes shocks and wheels are a must, I know they can become quite expensive, but im leaving them till last.

Basicly want all the brakes and gearing done first, than ill move on to the more expensive things.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    To get the best advice a budget is needed for each item or the whole build.Also what sort of riding will you be doing the most.
    What parts have you got already?
  • TheGav
    Ill prob have about 50-100 a week to spend.
    I dont know the technical terms for what riding ill be doing but long distance canel riding mostly, but will also be doing a bit of off road, hills ect..prob not jumps just yet

Cheers guys
  • TheGav
    Do I need shocks on the front, or can i have just normal forks?
  • piker
    What parts do you have already?
  • TheGav
    You want spec list?

I have everything to make the bike complete.

The front forks look cheap and nasty, like there from some £75 halfords special.

Levers V brakes and mechs are well used, so I would like to replace these, and also it dosn't look like the original crank, I'd like to change that too.
  • piker
    Spec list of what you have will help,or if the bike is original either a link to the bike you have or tell us the year.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I would sell what you have and buy a good bike for around £500 , it will work out a lot cheaper. Or look to buy another bike and swap all the parts over.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are not giving us enough info to go on. What parts do you have? What is wrong with them? What is your total budget?

We need a FULL spec list of what you have.