dg74
dg74 Posts: 656
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
or are the two on par with each other?

Major deciding factor on new bike this.

Comments

• Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other in performance terms, but they are different in use. Do you use Shimano or Campag at the moment? The different shifting method and feel of the gear changes will probably sway you one way or the other.

Or, like me, you'll buy Campagnolo Veloce just because it sounds nice to say.

Rob
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    If you have small hands you may well find the Campag thumb shifters difficult to reach when you are down in the drops. That reason alone is enough for me not to use Camagnolo.
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I wouldn't say one is better than the other in performance terms, but they are different in use. Do you use Shimano or Campag at the moment? The different shifting method and feel of the gear changes will probably sway you one way or the other.

Or, like me, you'll buy Campagnolo Veloce just because it sounds nice to say.

Rob

I use Shimano 2300 at the moment so EITHER is going to be a step up! :D

I'm not looking to cause an argument between the supporters of Campag or Shimano. I do like the Campag but weighing up the options for when it comes to servicing, etc, has to be taken into account.

Campag has the edge right now but come August when I order the bike, price drops may have an influence.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi there

I rode my Mercian steely for 14 years with a Campag Mirage Triple groupset before deciding to replace it last year.

Ended up with a Specialized Secteur Elite with Shimano 105 Triple.

Took a few weeks to get used to the different shifting mechanisms (still found myself trying to operate a non-existant thumb shifter for changing up a gear)

Now that the 105 is fully bedded in I have no problems. If anything I find the shifting to lower gears (larger rear sprockets) much smoother with the Shimano but I guess the Mirage was the entry level Campag system at that time. I do find the 105 a bit "clunky" when changing up the gears ( going to smaller rear sprockets) but it seems otherwise to work fine.

As an earlier poster commented - if you ride a lot on the drop-outs then the Campag thumb shifter can be awkward to reach to change up through the gears. The Shimano lever is much more accessible.

I'm happy with the 105 - it's just a matter of getting used to it and as long as the gear changing works smoothly then it's down to personal preference
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Veloce is about equivalent to Ultegra.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    They both do the same thing let's face it - change gear, that' it!