Noticed my chain rubs on itself

forbez
forbez Posts: 62
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Only the other night I got home from a ride and noticed that my chain was a little noisy, on inspection I noticed it appears to be rubbing on itself, and the rear deraileur appears to not be sitting right.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v260/ ... edia_share

Any ideas what ttys problem is here? Thanks.

Newbie btw. Cheers

My Bikeradar status is : Riding a Giant Yukon FX2

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shorten the chain?
    Are you in small/small?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • forbez
    Yeah I'm in 1st / lowest gear. You think the chains to long? Thanks for the quick response.

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Wait. You've got it on small front, small back? If so, that'll be your problem.
  • forbez
    Has cycling changed that much in the years I haven't done it? Blimey, I take it that's something I shouldn't be doing then?

• cooldad
    Avoid extreme combinations - large chainring with 2 largest cogs, small chainring with 2 smallest, assuming you are running 3 on the front.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • j96_2
    j96_2 Posts: 188
    It's because you in such a low gear, the rear mech is taking up too much slack and eventually can't take anymore due to its position, therefore the chain sags onto itself.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With the chain round large/large the lower side should be almost straight, if its not the chain is too long, also if they've gambled on the mech a little even with the right length chain you can end up with that condition in small/small (which you should never be in anyway!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • forbez
    Hmm well thanks for that guys, I never imagined that I should use that combo of small / small cogs. What's the reason for that then? I dont think I'd be climbing half of the hills around here without that 1st gear.

Thanks for your responses.

It's a Giant Yukon FX2 that im using.

• cooldad
    Small/small doesn't give you a low gear. Small/large does. (F/R)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Forbez wrote:
    Hmm well thanks for that guys, I never imagined that I should use that combo of small / small cogs. What's the reason for that then? I dont think I'd be climbing half of the hills around here without that 1st gear.

have a read.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12647117
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • forbez
    cooldad wrote:
    Small/small doesn't give you a low gear. Small/large does. (F/R)

Doh, I realized that last night! I'm a dimwit! Thanks for pointing out the obvious! I was just a little worried!

nicklouse wrote:
    Forbez wrote:

have a read.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12647117

I'll have a read of that now, thanks for your responses and courtesy, despite me being a complete plank, you have all been very polite!