A few days in the Yorkshire area.

andrewyzfr6
andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
edited July 2011 in Routes
At the end of the month Im going tot have a few days in the Yorkshire area. Im not taking the van, so im probably limited to taking one bike. Esp. as the pregnant other half might want her cube to come as she may do a blue run somewhere.
So where could we go, and what bike should I take(see list below)?
I might have a few hours to kill in the borders too. Any ideas where, other than glentress as i want to sample something new? She might be ok about sitting in the car cross stiching or iPading or whatever!
bikes009.jpg
2011 Orange 224 evo race
2009 Orange 5 pro
2008 Scott Scale 30
2002 S-works m5 fsr

Comments

• andrewyzfr6
    Woo-hoo, managed a photo! The 2 cubes are my mates and girlfriends. The rest is the choice for my trip to the borders/yorkshire
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • birchy
    birchy Posts: 309
    Depends on which part of yorkshire you are visiting really :wink:
  • andrewyzfr6
    Well, im supposed to be going to Harrogate/York. But i am used to travelling to do anything, so up to a hundred mile radius from that kind of area would be acceptable.
    And on the route down I might have a morning or afternoon in the borders area, where would be good on the east side? Is the uplift at Inners open on weekdays?
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • chalky1
    chalky1 Posts: 30
    There's Dalby, Thats pretty near to York ! Within 100 Miles ?
    Gisburn ?

Theres always the Peaks ? Tahts within 100 Miles.
  • chalky1
    chalky1 Posts: 30
    There's Dalby, Thats pretty near to York ! Within 100 Miles ?
    Gisburn ?

Theres always the Peaks ? Tahts within 100 Miles.
  • altern_8
    altern_8 Posts: 1,562
    Keep a eye on the hull surrounding area thread on the MTB ROUTES section,we sometimes go out during the week depending on work,out every weekend tho.
  • andrewyzfr6
    I thought about Dalby, its near pickering?
    Whats Gisburn like?
    cheers altern8 I'll check that too.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Gisburn

http://www.pmba.org.uk/gisburn.htm

Pretty good, although I would say that as I've built a lot of it. Probably 2 to 3 hrs riding depending on fitness, how much playing you want to do.

Also Cragg and Lee Quarries, about 30 miles further south, loads of play potential there.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • andrewyzfr6
    Thanks for that,gisburn maybe worth a look too,esp.if "herself" wants to do a smallride on her bike. Dalbylooks very likely,and gisburn a possibility!
    Hopefully get a morning or afternoon at inners too.
    Whats newcastleton like?
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • Rotherham Town Centre may be a good option - guaranteed to have whatever you are riding nicked :wink:

Sherwood Pines isn't technically in Yorkshire but is only 10 minutes from our border and is a very easy but enjoyable ride out.

Enjoy wherever you go in God's Own Country!!!
  • lg18
    lg18 Posts: 92
    There's also some amazing natural X-country riding if you like that. Masses of gorgeous stuff with no other riders all over the North York Moors which are close to York (there's an excellent website describing good rides - google it!), plus the Yorkshire Dales which are close to Harrogate (also a good website for that stuff), and things like the Mary Towneley Loop (or parts of, as it's a tall order in a single day) less than an hour drive SW of Harrogate. I prefer all that stuff over Dalby, which I found to be a lot of hard work for not enough woo-hoo downhilly fun (red run). It is still v good and worth doing though.

Whatever you end up doing you'll have a fab time - N Yorks is truly amazing MTB country!

Also v nice natural rides in borders, especially around Rothbury. Just need an OS map and link up the bridleways.

Lucy
  • andrewyzfr6
    If I had more time I would get the OS maps out and do some XC with the g/f (if her condition was less pregnant).
    It'll be trail centres where i can leave her in the car for a couple of hours playing with the ipad etc. And if there is a easy blue/green loop, that she could spend half an hour or so on it would be fine!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • You can leave her in Dalby while you ride out of Dalby on to the moors.

Keith
  • NY Moors has some truly amazing rides if you have the time and navigtion skills, if not can be a bit daunting, particularly if youre unfamiliar with it and on your own.

The red route at Dalby is a brilliant trail centre ride, its pretty long for a trail centre (23 miles) and its got pretty much all you need, better during the week though, can get a bit busy at weekends. I think you can ride the world cup course now as well, not done it yet but got it planned in for this Sunday.
  • andrewyzfr6
    Thanks Eddie, I would like to do the world cup coarse. I'll leave the natural riding for just now, because as usual i have limited time, and i dont want to leave her for more than a couple of hours at a time, esp as she is a bit peeed off that she cant really use her bike just now.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • altern_8
    Just a heads up regarding the world cup course,it is all waymarked as a black route......there is a slight diff from this years and lasts years world cup route tho,the first downhill from this year is the first uphill waymarked climb from the start/fin field,just in case you get there with a map from this year and wonder why its waymarked diff :wink:
  • is it possible to link the red route to the world cup course as one ride?
  • altern_8
    Yea you can,follow red route to dixons hollow to waymark 14,do the full world cup course and then rejoin the red route back at above waymark,you will be looking at near on 27miles tho.
  • spot on. Cheers
  • altern_8
    No worries,i normally park and start at dixons hollow if im doing the world cup course then do the red route from waymark 14 to the fire road on youre right just before waymark 25,and take the black route opposite the toll booth back to dixons hollow,looking at about a hour and half to 2 hours to do the above route,depending on how many times you stop and how fit.

Pity i wasnt free on sunday and i could of met up with you,and shown you some off piste bits.
  • Yeh Ive heard theres some good stuff off piste. Reply on this thread next time your doing dalby and Ill be happy to tag along, cheers.
  • altern_8
    Will do,but if i go its normally a last minute thing,as at the mo im riding the north york moors during the week,and peaks at weekends,but ill give you a heads up,i think next time ill be at dalby is for the on-one-hundred at end of july.
  • andrewyzfr6
    I got as far as Dalby last thursday. It was good. A lot flatter thn im used to tho, but thats just the diffrent terrain, I did find the black very easy(for a black) but a bit of a lung buster.
    The bike park was abit of a laugh until i broke my rear mech hanger, and it wound up in the rear wheel, but luckily I was only a hundred yards form the van! The shop in the centre was useless, and had no stock(uninterested staff too possibly), but went into Pickering and the shop there was great, and left having spent well over £200 lol
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • 13ADL1X
    13ADL1X Posts: 151
    I'm thinking of riding Dalby soon. Will I need chunky tyres or can I get away with something a bit super fast racer style?
    The trail is long and my legs are burning but I can't stop smiling.
  • altern_8
    I find rubber tyres are the best :wink:

Being serious tho,its a trail centre,it has a bit of everything,berms,sandy sections,rocks,roots,drops,and of course it could all be wet,all be dry.
    Or because of the size of the route,dry at one point,then wet,and dry again,id just go with what ever tyres you normally have on youre bike,and just go and enjoy what Dalby has to offer.
  • andrewyzfr6
    the ground was dry when i was there, but there was a bit of rain starting, so there was some damp bits.But based on what I found, you wouldnt need anthing big of chunkey at this time of year at a guess.
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr