Planet X SL Pro, Shimano 105

Swansea_Dave
Swansea_Dave Posts: 73
edited July 2011 in Your road bikes
Just finished building my Planet X Superlight Carbon Pro. The build took a couple of weeks longer than intended as I was short of some cables, Shimano chain pin, etc. (frustrating) but I finally got out for a few miles today.

Thanks to Rich on the forum for the groupset, top man.

It feels great, very smooth compared with my aluminium Specialized Allez. The PX steering is quicker and the top tube is a tad longer, which suits me just fine (my Allez is a 58 frame, the PX is an XL.) The 105 brakes are a lot sharper than the Tiagra on the Allez.

Need to get a few more miles on it before a triathlon next weekend.....

Full spec:
Planet X SL Pro carbon fibre frame and forks (size XL)
Shimano 105 5700 groupset (20 speed STI, 50/34 175mm compact chainset, 11-28 cassette, 105 brake calipers)
Planet X Model B wheels
Schwalbe Blizzard Sport tyres 23mm
Ritchey Streem V2 Comp saddle
Planet X Superlight Team 3D seatpost
3T 4GX handlebars (44cm)
3T 4GX stem (110mm)
Shimano M-520 pedals

5821364623_da6cbda005.jpg

5824708574_cc175dfb08.jpg
Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon on Flickr

Comments

• zexel
    zexel Posts: 54
    I like that. Nice work.

Just out of interest. What's the weight of it?
  • Swansea_Dave
    Swansea_Dave Posts: 73
    edited June 2011
    Good question, and I'd like to know the answer. I only have an old skool bathroom scales so I can say with confidence that its between 6 and 16 kg!

Will have to try the kids' Wii Fit board thingy.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Oooooo! Now I do like the way it all matches, and the chunky tubes. :D

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • I now have a cheapo digital scales (£2.50 inc P&P from eBay). They read to within 10 g of a set of digital kitchen scales using a 2kg standard, so I suspect they are reasonably accurate.

The Planet X (XL frame) came in at 8.48 kg or 18.65 lb. This includes Shimano M-520 SPD pedals, VDO computer and an Elite bottle cage. As a comparison, my 2007 Specialized Allez Sport (58cm, Tiagra groupset) weighed in at 9.46 kg or 20.81 lb with the same pedals plus computer and cage.

I saw feedback from someone at Planet X on a forum which reckoned that an SL Pro in XL with an Ultegra build came in at just over 8 kg, so my figures sound OK.

I now have a few hundred miles on the PX. The frame soaks up road vibration really well and it really is a top ride. Had fun at the Wimbleball triathlon a couple of weeks ago and can't wait for the Merlin Ride this weekend (104 miles of carnage in west Wales) http://www.merlincycletours.co.uk/content/view/26/47/.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Looks great in white - really nice build!
    Mens agitat molem
  • JamieRa
    JamieRa Posts: 82
    lovley!
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    Really, really nice!

There's just something about the shape of the SL Pro that I really love. I know the very compact frame is not everyone's cup of tea when I first posted mine on this forum last year there were a few very negative comments from one poster which were then removed.

I would definitely buy another, should anything happen to my beloved SL (God forbid).

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I love mine...
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Looks nice.

The current set up obviously works for you, but id imagine the whole front end would look better with the stem flipped 8)
  • GMB wrote:
    Really, really nice! ..............

Thanks GMB. Your bike looks very sharp, subtle B&W colour scheme. I couldn't afford carbon wheels so I have tried to disguise the fact by blinding people with blingy blue tyres.....
  • Zoomer37 wrote:
    Looks nice.

The current set up obviously works for you, but id imagine the whole front end would look better with the stem flipped 8)

I completely agree it would look sharper - but I'd end up walking with a stick! (I guess I could always get a carbon one...)

When I built the bike the bars were 5mm lower than the set-up on my Allez and the seat to bar distance was 15mm longer. I thought that would be fine but it gave me an aching neck and shoulders after 40 miles. Its amazing how sensitive one can be to small adjustments in fit.
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    GMB wrote:
    Really, really nice! ..............

Thanks GMB. Your bike looks very sharp, subtle B&W colour scheme. I couldn't afford carbon wheels so I have tried to disguise the fact by blinding people with blingy blue tyres.....

Thanks! I can't afford the wheels either - didn't stop me buying them though!! :oops:
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg