Pro lite como Vs Shimano RS10

carbon337
carbon337 Posts: 414
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Fight!!!

Which one of the above? Started looking at second hand wheels but then thought new at 80-90 quid maybe best.

For commuting, club riding, general charity rides etc. I'm in Northumberland so smooth roads just don't exist. I'm 14 Stone and the bike doesn't have Carbon fork so not sure if this makes a difference.

Which one and why? Also alternatives.

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Get your wallet out, sign up for the discount and pay £135 for Aksiums

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 1_1325.htm

You will not be disappointed
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    i have a pair of Como's (4000mls+) and a pair of RS10's(2000miles) and both sets of wheels are still true with no spoke breakages(rider 79KG) The RS10's are lighter and feel it.The Como's are more aero(30mm rim) and built to withstand nuclear holocausts. But they are heavy...
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    These top three at Ribble may be of interest

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... thlon/WHFR
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Bought comos, ridiculously heavy, sold them within two weeks, bulletproof but unrideable for me.
  • carbon337
    carbon337 Posts: 414
    Ascurrell they are but out of the 10's and comos I can't decide. Think I'm swaying rs10's to be honest.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    I've just sent a rear como back to Ribble because the hub gave up. The LBS opened the hub to find no grease in the left hand side and the hub full of rusty water. He replaced the bearings but the running surfaces were pitted. It lasted a few more weeks before it started make grinding noises so it went back.

Ribble have been great (so far) in the whole process.

Probably a one off.

They are heavy though.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Navrig wrote:
    I've just sent a rear como back to Ribble because the hub gave up. The LBS opened the hub to find no grease in the left hand side and the hub full of rusty water. He replaced the bearings but the running surfaces were pitted. It lasted a few more weeks before it started make grinding noises so it went back.

Ribble have been great (so far) in the whole process.

Probably a one off.

They are heavy though.

Apparently there is a replacement wheel waiting for me at home. Thanks Ribble.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've just bought some RS10s for £86.

Easily as good as Aksiums IMO, at knocking on half the price. A true cycling bargain.

As I mentioned previously, I've spent more on a a pair of mtb tyres this week!
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer