Wildcat Trails Golspie : Anyone done 'em?.

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited June 2011 in Routes
Heading up that way tomorrow for a few days break and taking the bike with me ( Cube Acid ).

Anyone done the Wildcat trails?. The red looks interesting as does the black although it might be a bit above my skill level. How does the red compare to say - the red at Laggan Wolftrax?.

Any advice appreciated. Heading up with the missus and our 3 month old so getting a couple of hours away over the course of a few days is all I dare push for :lol:

Want to make the most of those couple of hours so tips would be great. Ta!!!.
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• I've been there a couple of times. Quite like it, but in my opinion Laggan beats it.

The hardest bit on the black is the climb, it gets pretty techy near the top at a bit they call the Lactic Ladder if memory serves me right. Too tough for me - I had to get off and push here and there.

I'm more comfortable on a red run than on a black, but the descent on the black is worth the effort. It seems to go on forever, the views at the top are excellent, and you get to pee on the duke as well - bonus !

:wink:
  • RSV_Ecosse
    RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
    Cool. I loved the red at Laggan although I found it challenging in some places. I wimped out of doing Ayers Rock though!!.

Wildcat red sounds excellent, the descent part looks like a complete hoot. I'm thinking I'll check out the black and see how it goes as well. If I do manage it, I might have a wee up there too....lol. 8)
    Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
    Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    I was there on Friday, and it was an excellent hour, on my way home from inverness.
    The climb from the car park goes on a bit, but is more interesting than the climb from the car park at Laggan. As said the lactic ladder section is very technical, but I enjoy it. I usually try to challenge myself to get no "dabs" on the ascent., after that section it is prettymuch a fire road to the top (and the stunning view), but it only takes 10-15 min.
    The decent from the top is initally fast and flowing, but does get more technical, but not so that it is a severe black grade.When the trail heads back into the trees (my favorite bit!) it does get more technical but only a couple of bits where its very technical, and there is usually a way of avoiding the drop offs etc. After that its a fast flowing red for the last 4ish km to the end.
    I have done it on the HT and the 5 loads of times(at least 30 times a year) although the HT is better on the ascent the 5 is faster and a bit more fun on the decent. Might head down a look later today.......
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr
  • andrewyzfr6
    andrewyzfr6 Posts: 194
    Barring the boring start on the fireroad, I love Laggan too!!!!
    2011 Orange 224 evo race
    2009 Orange 5 pro
    2008 Scott Scale 30
    2002 S-works m5 fsr