help me place a bet ?

forward_loop
forward_loop Posts: 314
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
right - although I'm an old git - I've never placed a bet before in a betting office. Fancied a flutter on this years tour de France and wandered into Corralsl. After explaining to the cashier that the Tour de France was a cycling race it went downhill from there - with them having to "phone headoffice for the odds etc. With a queue building and me with too many questions about too many riders i left.
i've just looked at William Hill online and they offer two sets of odds - one with Contador riding and one without.
My question is - if you place a bet on a rider does the bet stand whether Contador rides or not but just with different odds. OR if I place a bet under the auspices (odds) that Contador doesn't ride - and then he does is the bet void or do just loose my money ?
Hope this makes sense to some of you that have dabbled before - but I want to invest my £5 with full knowledge :lol:

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    as someone who has spent far too much time gambling and playing poker i'll explain.

Contador is riding - that is a given. He will win.

Now you can bet on a rider to win - with Contador in the race. Option 1 at WH.

Or you can bet on a rider as though Contador is not in the race (even though he is) Option 2 at WH.

With option 1 - you will get better odds on rider X (more return if they win)- but you will lose as contador will win.

With option 2 - you will get shorter odds on rider X (less money if they win) - so you are effectivly betting on who will finish 2nd.

HTH
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    If you place a bet on your selected rider on the 'without Contador' odds you'll win if your selected rider comes second to Contador, or he wins and Contador doesn't ride.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    well I actually emailed mr william hill who lives on william hill and this is the reply

Please be informed that under the Cycling Rules, it states:

b. Ante post rules apply to bets placed prior to the start of an event and stakes will be lost on any competitor who withdraws or takes no part.

Hence, if your bet is an ante post for Contador, it will be a losing bet. However, if it is a live bet, then it will be voided and the remaining selection will stand.

And for some reason he's changed his name to shelley and works for william hill customer services.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.