My one and only Focus Mares

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited April 2012 in Your road bikes
I say one and only because she's currently my one and only bike (apart from the MTB but that doesn't count). Commuting, shops, club runs, Sunday rides, the odd cross race, rain, sun, snow, you name it she's done it. This is the bike that got me back into road riding and I don't think I could ever part with her now.

Set up for cross just before she took me to the top of Snowdon :D
cross.jpg

Cross tyres - schwalbe racing ralph
Wheels - concept rims, 105 hubs
Pedals - Shimano M250 SPD

This is how she's set up 90% of the time (sorry about the little ring :oops: )
road.jpg

Road tyres - Vredestein fortezza
Wheels - Mavic Aksium
Pedals - Speedplay zero

Frame - Focus Mares 2009
Fork - Focus carbon
shifter and derailleurs are 105 but the chainset and BB are FSA gossamer
Brakes - Tektro canti's
Pads - Kool stop dual comp MTB
Saddle - Selle Italia
Bar tape - needs replacing

A real do everything, workhorse bike. Currently gathering parts for a Sunday best but the Focus will remain!

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I do like that. CX keeps calling to me, and I can only keep ignoring it for so long..
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    That's a nice bicycle!
    I do like a Focus, and I do like a cyclocross bike. I especially like a cyclocross bike set up as a road bike, so picture 2 is the winner for me :D

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • petemadoc
    Sometimes I think Focus is a bit of a boring and uninspiring brand but the more I ride the more I like! She is rock solid and handles like a dream! No complaints whatsoever . . . . . other than the weight

10.5Kg
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Sometimes I think Focus is a bit of a boring and uninspiring brand but the more I ride the more I like! She is rock solid and handles like a dream! No complaints whatsoever . . . . . other than the weight

10.5Kg

Agreed. My Specialized Tricross is about that weight too. That's why I recently bit the bullet and went for a Van Nicholas Euros as my summer ride....Still got a soft spot for the now-winter ride cyclocross though. :wink:

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Like that a lot. My next bike is definitely going to be a CX. The off-road stuff I do is mainly dolomite paths along the cliff tops, riverside/tow paths, stuff that really doesn't warrant the hardtail I currently own.

Can you swap between cross and road wheels easily or does it require some fiddling each time for brake alignment, gears etc.?
  • petemadoc
    Lagavulin wrote:
    Can you swap between cross and road wheels easily or does it require some fiddling each time for brake alignment, gears etc.?

With canti brakes there's so much clearance that changing the wheels is no problem at all. Gears need a little adjustment but only maybe a half turn on the barrel adjuster, that's it. I've even got different cassette ratios on each set of wheels.
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    Is there sufficient clearance on this frame/fork to run 700x35mm tyres with proper, full length mudguards?
  • petemadoc
    morxy wrote:
    Is there sufficient clearance on this frame/fork to run 700x35mm tyres with proper, full length mudguards?

Yes!

I fitted them once when I first got the bike. Then I had a cross race and took them off. The experience of putting them on in the first place meant I never put them back on. You live and learn. Now I can't think of any reason why you would want to run 35mm tyres and fit full length mudguards.
  • morxy
    can't think of any reason why you would want to run 35mm tyres and fit full length mudguards
    Am thinking of building a dedicated rain bike: mudguards to protect my face, feet and butt (and water bottles) from spray, and wider tyres at lower pressures for slightly better traction on wet surfaces. A cyclocross bike can be a good, durable Winter/rain bike IMHO.
    The experience of putting them on in the first place meant I never put them back on
    Were they really tricky to fit? I could use 28mm tyres if that helps. Were they proper/permanent mudguards (i.e. not Crud RoadRacers with cable ties)?

Thanks for your insights btw.
  • petemadoc
    morxy wrote:
    can't think of any reason why you would want to run 35mm tyres and fit full length mudguards
    Am thinking of building a dedicated rain bike: mudguards to protect my face, feet and butt (and water bottles) from spray, and wider tyres at lower pressures for slightly better traction on wet surfaces. A cyclocross bike can be a good, durable Winter/rain bike IMHO.
    The experience of putting them on in the first place meant I never put them back on
    Were they really tricky to fit? I could use 28mm tyres if that helps. Were they proper/permanent mudguards (i.e. not Crud RoadRacers with cable ties)?

Thanks for your insights btw.

Will the rain bike be used off road?

The mudguards I fitted were SKS chromoplastic things and the tyres were, and still are, schwalbe racing ralph (way too heavy duty for just a rain bike). A 28mm tyre should be fine and if you're leaving the mudguards on for ever then they're perfect.

Do you have another cross bike already?
  • morxy
    I expect 80% on road, and 20% on light dirt tracks, cobbles, short grass. Essentially it will be a road bike. But I want the versatility for occasional light offroad usage. Perhaps a 28mm tyre with minimal tread will be fine.

I don't have another cross bike. Never had one. All my experience comes from road bikes, with some hybrid and MTB use. I'm pretty good at mechanics. I just never fitted mudguards before! and have never owned a cyclocross bike.

Yes I'd want the mudguards on permanently, full length, max protection from spray.
  • petemadoc
    morxy wrote:
    I expect 80% on road, and 20% on light dirt tracks, cobbles, short grass. Essentially it will be a road bike. But I want the versatility for occasional light offroad usage. Perhaps a 28mm tyre with minimal tread will be fine.

I don't have another cross bike. Never had one. All my experience comes from road bikes, with some hybrid and MTB use. I'm pretty good at mechanics. I just never fitted mudguards before! and have never owned a cyclocross bike.

Yes I'd want the mudguards on permanently, full length, max protection from spray.

OK here's my experience of the frame and owning a cross bike.

The frame is rock solid, handles great and inspires confidence in all situations, however it is a little heavy.

When you own a cross bike, even if you have no intention to, you get this little nagging feeling deep down to go and race or hammer some muddy offroad tracks. You could fit the mudguards . . . but one day you'll take them off because you want to race across a muddy field.

I use mine as a commuter/allweather bike too using a big rear wing MTB guard that can be removed in a jiffy.

I guess if you stick to your plan and never really take it offroad it will work but you will almost certainly be drawn into the murky world of cross. Enjoy!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    A CX bike is one of the best all-round purchases you can make. Look into touring bike options as well and see if they fit the bill.

4 keys to a good CX frame are low weight, low BB, tyre clearance, & braze-ons for stuff: 1) All bikes are pretty rugged so please don't confuse 'heft' with "good build" nor light bikes with fagility. From years racing CX and watching the pros we know that 1000 gram racing CX frames are put through & survive hell with a lot more watts flowing through them than we can manage. Also, the lighter the frame, the more it crosses over into the on-road realm which makes it really useful, and it keeps you in the mix for longer on training rides with guys on road bikes.

2) Low BBs are great for road handling. High BBs were there for days when racers had toe-clips and are somewhat useful if you're a full-on racer who pedals around all corners and jumps barriers. Most people don't need to do the latter 2, but most people ride on the road where a high BB makes the bike less stable at road speeds (40-60 km/h say). If you're worried about a 7am BB drop off-road, just stop pedalling and hold your cranks horizontal.

3) Tyre clearance is key for off-road. Forget the UCI has limited CX tyres/tubs to 34c, many options exist at 38c to 42c which, when run at 35psi great off-road tyres. I use 38c Schwable Marathons offroad in Dorking on my CX with no issues. I do get distanced by guys on full sus bikes down hill, but can stay with them in single track and pass them up hill.

4) Braze ons for 'guards, bottles and rear rack make the bike multi-use which is what most people want. Both my CX bikes don't have them any for 'guards/racks and only 1 has 1 set of bottle mounts so that could be a factor. Nothing a riv-nut and a rivet gun can't solve tho. You'd be surprised how many manufacturers install riv-nuts (like Marston) after the frame is built - even in carbon.

Hope some of that rambling helps, or you might have other opinions.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    How heavy is the Mares? I use a bottom of the range Ridley, and it's actually a fair bit lighter than my winter bike, a dolan Preffisio.