Thoughts on hardtails...

goldilocks
goldilocks Posts: 30
edited September 2011 in Women
I'm needing to start looking for a new bike as my poor little Giant Revel (yes I know... :oops: ) has been an awesome introduction to my mtb'ing but even having upgraded bits I have pretty much killed him now :cry:

I know I want to stick to a hardtail, I generally ride/race XC, not looking for anything bigger than 100mm travel (mine currently has the standard spec 60mm SR Suntour forks...). It's has been less than a year that I have been riding and am not really wanting to spend silly money on a bike just yet. But in truth, I don't really know where to start!! Also, female specific bikes - particular one's to look at or not necessarily worth it?? (I'm crap at the geometry stuff with bikes)

So, I was hoping that you'd all have bucket loads of suggestions for me :D I haven't really found me a LBS yet having just relocated (tho am picking the brains of the riders I've since met here!) although I've heard there's a good one in Kenilworth?!

Oh and looking at a budget of UP TO £1000.

Cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Geometry - they vary so much that the best thing to do is try some bikes out. Even "women's" bikes don't stick to the same rules. So don't be afraid to try out mens bikes. You can always swap over saddles.

I'd look at the Boardman bikes at Halfords, nothing beats them for the money.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi there goldilocks.. I bought a lovely hardtail last year and after lots of research and testing it was narrowed down to two bikes the Whyte 19 and the On One 456. Both gorgeous light bikes with a decent amount of travel on front forks which just means you can have more fun on rockier terrain! I went for the Whyte in the end just coz it fitted me better.
    You absolutely have to travel around and try bikes out before spending £1000.. The geometry thing is meaningless until you actually get on a bike and see if it suits you. Took me about 3 months before I knew which one it was going to be.
    On One have got some really good special offers on at the moment so I would visit their website and get an idea of what sort of bkes they are.

Good luck :D

Kathg
  • .Brucey.
    .Brucey. Posts: 66
    Cube
  • Have you tried a full sus? I foolishly tried my friends last week & oh my lord, how much easier is that??!!! I could actually let go & not feel like I was ever going to fly over the handlebars! Also i realised on rocky climbs where i thought i had the advantage i actually waste too much energy counteracting the rattling, so again the FS was much easier. Unfortunately lack of pennies mean an upgrade isn't an option :(
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Goldilocks, If you haven't already bought a new bike I'd strongly recommend going to see Darren Atkins at Ride in Coventry. http://www.ridecov.co.uk/ You'll get honest, good advice and he won't try to sell you the most expensive bike in the shop. I recently bought a Giant MTB from him - I'm extremely happy with it as he listened to what I wanted it for and came up with a great suggestion.

Ruth
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/