Which helmet cam ?

2»

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Twostage wrote:
    DF33 wrote:
    They have different links for different packages, ie cam, cam + 4gb, cam + 8gb etc, search them and you'll get one.
    Next attempt. Decided to go for the 4 gig version but the checkout insists it gets delivered to my home address and I want it to go to my work address. I've emailed them to ask how I do that.
    They can't do it. Back to the drawing board.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Twostage wrote:
    They can't do it. Back to the drawing board.

Go for one of the 808 11 cams. Much better camera and not a lot more in price. Saying that, mines not arrived yet so I've not got any hands on experience, however, I did a lot of research before ordering...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Just set up a new thread but, I had this emailed to me today.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product ... r=20110610

Worth a punt, can take micro sd cards up to 32gb
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    I would steer well clear of cheap D Extreme kind of stuff, it is cheap for a reason. Also how much information will they actually capture and in differing light conditions. Aside from Hero cam, you could consider getting one of the video cameras you can pick up at Dixons etc at least these are from well know manufacturers. I am looking at just getting a tough digital camera, with a handlebar mount.
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340

Just bought this - shall let you know how it goes :P
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • After 3 close incidents in 5 days, it is time I got back into filming my rides. I am looking for something which will record for around 3 hours on on charge and have swappable batteries (or be cheap enough that I can buy 2 cameras).
  • Twostage
    Update.
    Went for an md80 clone with an 8gig card. Battery seems to last about 1 1/2 hours which is just long enough for my commute (23 miles). The quality is ok but I've noticed that the right hand side of the image is in focus for close up objects whilst the left hand side is in focus for distance. Still trying to get the angle of the helmet holder right so I don't have proper footage of the bloke who stopped me to ask if I would push his removal van across a junction :shock: .
    When the battery life starts to drop (which it inevitably will) I'm going to rig up an external power supply for it (instructions on the interweb).
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    hfidgen wrote:

Well the verdict is in - it's good!

It's reasonably cheap, seems quite robust and splashproof and comes with all sorts of mounts which should give you the options you need. In the end though I settled for a couple of cable ties which seem to have done the job perfectly well.

The picture quality is good enough although obviously not anywhere near the more expensive HD cameras, and the field of view is wide enough that you should capture pretty much whatever you're pointing your head at.

£30 well spent tbh, and looking forward to being a contributor to Gaz's silly cyclists - there's plenty of materiel out there thats for sure.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • Twostage
    Must admit to not being entirely happy with mine. It seems to stop recording for no reason. This morning it stopped after 1/2 hour and again after a minute. I'm assuming this is battery not being charged even though it was plugged into my PC last night ????
    I did have problems initially when it would only record for 30 minutes or so but I cured that by re-formatting the memory card. So it mostly now records up to the 4 gig file size limit which works out at about 45 minutes. I wish I could reduce the frame rate or video size so that it would record for longer.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 290
    hfidgen wrote:
    hfidgen wrote:

Well the verdict is in - it's good!

It's reasonably cheap, seems quite robust and splashproof and comes with all sorts of mounts which should give you the options you need. In the end though I settled for a couple of cable ties which seem to have done the job perfectly well.

The picture quality is good enough although obviously not anywhere near the more expensive HD cameras, and the field of view is wide enough that you should capture pretty much whatever you're pointing your head at.

£30 well spent tbh, and looking forward to being a contributor to Gaz's silly cyclists - there's plenty of materiel out there thats for sure.

would i be right in thinking that it records for 5 minutes, then stops, then strats recording again for 5 minutes etc etc, so giving lots of 5 minute clips?
    B'Twin Sport 1
    FCN 7 =4, +2(non cycling clothes) +1(beard)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    dcurzon wrote:

would i be right in thinking that it records for 5 minutes

One other question! When it says it deletes old files once the card is full up, does it just delete the oldest one first and then record, or does it wipe the whole card and start again?

Ta!
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    dcurzon wrote:

would i be right in thinking that it records for 5 minutes

One other question! When it says it deletes old files once the card is full up, does it just delete the oldest one first and then record, or does it wipe the whole card and start again?

Ta!
    Oldest first...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    dcurzon wrote:

would i be right in thinking that it records for 5 minutes, then stops, then strats recording again for 5 minutes etc etc, so giving lots of 5 minute clips?
    Yes, with about 4secs between each one
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry: