spongy back brake!

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I've tried to fix my Avid Elixir a few times to make it more responsive but I still have to pull the lever all the way to the bar to get any decent friction. I want to be able to use one finger only on downhill sections and get decent brake performance - is there anything I can do to set the brake lever further away from the bars or make it stiffer? My front brake is great - really responsive, but I'd rather have my back brake spot on!

Thanks

J :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like it needs bleeding.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Had the same issue, bleeding did nothing. I'm advancing the pads a bit at a time: Take the wheel off, pull the lever slightly so that the pads move a tiny bit and then put the wheel back in. Repeat until happy, or the pads rub on the rotor. You can always reset it by taking the pads out and forcing the pistons back with a tyre lever.

Edit: According to the Avid manual, you're supposed to advanced them until there's 1mm between the pads and then repeat that a few times.
  • col748
    col748 Posts: 81
    make sure caliper is central to disc and if it has a piston each side make sure they are both working the same (the disc isnt pushed over to the other piston before the pads bite) you can get good videos from hope on how to do this on you tube.