15 mile each way commute

funkydisciple
funkydisciple Posts: 65
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hey peeps,

Unfortunately my job is being relocated and now its just short of 15 miles. Is 15 miles each way excessive? I'm determined to get to work without it costing me anything. Otherwise it means spending £150 on fuel every month which I really dont want to pay.

I used to do 10 miles from my home to my last job each way but i only managed this for a couple times a week and this was on a mountain bike too (i knew nothing about bikes back then). my fitness isn't great at the moment but working hard in the gym.

So, is 15 miles each way too much? anyone do a similar distance...

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I commute 100 - 150 miles a week- plenty of folk on here do that and more. Whether your up to it or not depends on your fitness and your mindset.

The usuak advice - start small and build up to it. Try it once a week and see if you can get into the habit. Is it a nice route? Have you got showers at work? What's the dress policy?

For that sort of mileage you're looking at a good bike or two, skinny road wheels for speed maybe something more hard wearing for winter.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I commute 14 miles each way 2-3 times a week, and its well do-able. You have to be organised though; clean clothes, shower stuff and the like, but nothing that difficult. Winter is different; we all like to think we are 'hard' but motivating yourself onto the bike in freezing rain is tricky. Also, your schedule is a big influence; I am fortunate enough to be able to start my commute just after 9:00, so I do miss the worst of the 'school-run' traffic. Overall, I find commuting on the bike to be faster (very little difference in journey times, unlike car/train etc) more enjoyable and it really helps keep your mileage up there. I still ride at the weekends too - I don't see 'commuting' as anything but a positive addition to my riding. Hope you feel the same and enjoy it.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    I do 15miles each way 5 times a week... so, no, its not excessive. Of course it depends on the route, hillyness, etc. I started with 2 days/week and built up... tho I've been commuting by bike for many years I'd had a long lay off after an illness and had lost a lot of fitness (suffice to say fitness is back now and most of the weight gain has gone too...)

The other thing to consider: is there a public transport option for those time when you dont feel like riding home after a bad day

Timing is important - I try to get out early before the rush hour.

+1 on the organisation. If there's a dry cleaners near where you work try to negotiate a deal - i did - that they will do trousers and 5 shirts for a discount if its every week. I just drop it all off on the friday night and pick up on Monday morning now, so much easier. everything else I have a set at work and set at home so minimal carrying needed in a small backpack tho I do have a pannier for the laptop when needed.

Commuting in summer is easy, as has been said, its when it gets dark n wet n cold that seperates the men from the boys :). the right gear, layers, and good waterproofs, and lights!

As far as the bike is concerned I use an older hybrid with skinny tyres. If you were buying new I'd recommend something like the Specialized TriCross, more relaxed geometry than a road bike, has the drop handlebars for better aero and speed but a higher bottom bracket so in the upright position gives better visibility over the traffic than a road bike. I find my road bike fast (I have used it for the occasional commute) but not so good in traffic, also it's less predictable on bad surfaces, not good when filtering...

One more thought - dont assume cycling wont cost you anything :D there's always a nice new bit of kit to buy that you just must have :D
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I just stepped up from 11 miles each way to 17. It is fine, takes a little getting used to - but means you can eat even more....
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    I do a 25.6 mile round trip every day - easily do'able IMHO.

I did my best time of 39 mins dead for the 12.8 mile trip in the other day; I would've been quicker too if it hadn't been for two sets of temporary traffic lights :evil:
  • gosh, i really appreciate the reply from everyone that replied.

OptimisticBiker - Fantastic idea about negotiating a deal with the local dry cleaners - i did not even think about that at all and will start looking at some places nearby to work.

I had a look at the route the other day and seems like a decent enough journey, pretty much a straight route just the a couple of long-ish climbs and some descent.

My job doesnt relocate until September so i suppose i got a few months to get used to the route on the weekends and some evenings a week until i'm up to a point i can get to 5 times a week. I start work at 0745 so i suppose setting off about 6ish and getting there for, hopefully, before 7 will give me ample time to shower and get ready etc.

I have already purchased a Claud Butler elite road bike. I felt that what i was told and did a test ride on it seemed very cool. Although i'll be a bit more careful in the rain or simply get tires that can withstand the rain in the autumn season.

I want to thank again. you people are most helpful, didnt expect this kindness from everybody... :)
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    As people have mentioned before start off small, maybe do it one day a week or maybe one day during the working week and then again maybe at the weekend to try and get a routine, I found when I got back on my bike after the winter that I struggled to get into a routine maybe missing a day here and there but now that I'm committed it's so painless, is your work on say a cycle path, thats the advantage for me I only have to use the road from my house to the cycle path and then it's cycle path to work and my cycle path is quiet and you meet the occassional cyclist. The only problems I have on the cycle path are stray dogs and sometimes kids lying on the ground (no joke).

Once you get into a routine it will be so painless.

David
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The only barrier is you. How "unfit" are you? 15 miles isn't even a warm up. When I was commuting every day it was 38 miles each way so a shade under 80 miles round trip. I started off doing it 3 times a week M,W and F, then went 5 days after about 6 weeks riding about 400 miles a week not including sunday club runs. I guess it all depends how hardcore you are about cycling and your fitness.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    dilemna wrote:
    15 miles isn't even a warm up. .

Err - whilst I take your broader point - this is a bit of a silly statement unless you want to just show off how tough you are. We're talking commuting not doing TdF stages.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    dilemna wrote:
    15 miles isn't even a warm up. .

Err - whilst I take your broader point - this is a bit of a silly statement unless you want to just show off how tough you are. We're talking commuting not doing TdF stages.

Ignore the wiily-waver.